This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM database connection error

I install NPM eval 10.1 with SQL Server express. I collected some test data and I want to restore the database in my own virtual machine to make a test report ppt.

I backup the database from the test server.

I install the NPM eval 10.1 with SQL Server express in my virtual machine. And I restore the database successfully.

But when i want to open the Network Performance Monitor, there shows an error:

"Data Source=(local)\SOLARWINDS_ORION;Initial Catalog=SolarwindsOrion; User ID=SolarwindsOrionDatabaseUser; Error=Cannot open database "SolarwindsOrion" requested by the login. The login failed."

I'm sure all the Solarwinds services are enable. Include the SQL Server Express. What happen?

• Did you try to run the Configuration Wizard from NPM server console after restoring your database?
  • I worked out this problem.

I change the virtual machine's computer name as same as the original NPM server.

Install SQL Server 2005. And change the instance name to "SOLARWINDS_ORION" during the installation wizard.

Create a new database named "SolarWindsOrion". Restore SolarWindsOrion.bak to this new database. And go to 'Options' change the file route.(because the default route is contain 'SQLExpress' and it doesn't exist in virtual machine)

Finish the restore.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to hehe7nic

Can you please give me the snapshots of this whole process so that i can understand easily. Thanks in advance.