cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

NPM and Sonicwall

My company is revisiting purchasing Orion NPM but have an abundance of Sonicwalls that we need to make sure it can give us quality info about our VPN tunnels.  The quick and dirty description of our network is that we have one main location that has a PRO 2040 Enhanced running SonicOS Enhanced 4.2.0.1-12e.  We then have about 20 smaller locations that are running miscellaneous Sonicwalls that have been bought as each location has come into the company.  Each has the equivalent of a TZ-170 Standard (plus or minus a version or two).   These offices use VPN tunnels to connect via the the 2040 to the main office to use the centralized billing system among other things.  We also have a handful of Ciscos that connect to a few bigger offices that I know NPM works fine with, but when we tested it some time ago, the experts there said there was no way of getting individual VPN Tunnel traffic into NPM.  I have since only found one thing that even remotely gives anything regarding the VPN tunnels which is a template plugin for Cacti (www.cacti.net) which is located here (http://forums.cacti.net/about2893.html).  If we can get at least what the Cacti plugin gives us, we would probably buy NPM as we already know it works well with the Ciscos.  I'll also mention that we would be using this on server 2008 64bit which is running off of Hyper-V (in case that matters).

Anyone with experience with a setup like this please give your thoughts and what addons, plugins, MiBs, etc I need to look for when we start evaluating this again.

I'm a complete noob to monitoring, mibs, etc. so please respond as if you are responding to an idiot as I am only a small step above that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

11 Replies