This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM and Digital Signage Devices

In the next few days my company would want to start adding our digital signage devices to NPM. I know we would be able to monitor response time but i wanted to know if there can be any added features that NPM can offer in monitoring these devices. Is there anything i can do to efficiently monitor these type of devices?

• Are the devices SNMP capable? If so, then you could poll them for any data that is in the device MIB, although I would bet that you would have to create some custom MIB pollers to get anything interesting.

• NPM can support any device with an IP Address for the basic Up/Down and SNMP Access for details about the device. If the devices have SNMP a MIB Walk can be performed on the devices to see what data and values can be returned for Reporting and Alerting. The Universal Device Poller or Device Studio can be used to check the device based on the the MIB Name or OID and return the value for a tabular, chart or gauge views.

There is a MIB Walk in the Engineer's Toolset you can run which can walk any SNMP enabled device, output the MIB Name, OID and Value returned. This can be exported to Excel or CSV if needed.

This video walks through the basics of the Universal Device Poller: SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor Universal Device Poller UnDP - YouTube

If the devices only support SSH connection, Server & Application Monitor may be a better choice as it can SSH to perform scripts, output a success code and report a message. SAM Linux/Unix Script Monitor

• I believe some of them should be SNMP capable. Using NPM with these devices are new to me so hopefully I would be able to use the UDP feature.

Thanks

• ^^^^ pretty much what he said

if the signage box is SNMP capable you can pretty much do a lot once it has a fairly decent set of MiBS written for it, else it may not return much valuable info. That all depends on the brand.

I am sure you may want to monitor last update time, runtime, location in addition to it availability

• There are a large variety of methods used to monitor user's computers. How, when, and how much they monitor depends on the software and methods used, as well as company policy. Sadly, there is no simple solution or easy answer. Digital signage manufacturers can do the job and it is quite customizable.