This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM - VMware/ESX issue

Hello,

I am
having an issue where I can’t detect the virtual machines in our environment. We
are running ESX and vCenter 4.0. I have enabled SNMP on the vC server and on
our ESX hosts. I also have ensured that SNMP is configured on all of the
virtual servers. The VC server shows as a Windows server, which I would assume fine. And the ESX hosts show up as net-snmp devices, but on several VM's that I have tried to add manually they all show up as Unknown devices.

I
believe SNMP is configured properly as I can poll the ESX and VC servers and
get CPU and Memory usage. But the issue I am seeing is that I can’t use the “Poll
for VMware” function of NPM. When I test the credentials on the VC and ESX hosts they always fail, even
though I know they are the proper logins for the servers.

Another
thing I noticed is under the node details of all of the ESX servers is that
under the Hardware section, they are labeled as Virtual, with hosts unknown.
The ESX hosts should be listed as physical here.

Any help I can receive on this would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance, I will go ahead and post the ESX SNMP configurations in case it is helpful in this situation.

ESX
SNMP configurations:

/etc/vmware/snmp.xml
file:

<config>

<snmpSettings>

<enable>true</enable>

<communities>**** </communities>

<port>171</port>

<targets>127.0.0.1@162</targets>

</snmpSettings>

</config>

/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf
file:

view systemview included .1.3.6.1.4.1.6876

proxy -v l -c **** 127.0.0.1:171 .1.3.6.1.4.1.6876
  • from the orion server, can you get to the ESX and VC servers via https?

Does each ESX server node in orion have the "Poll for VMware" checked? are you using the root user?  if not, can you try that (if you have an issues with that, just use it for testing, and it can be fixed later).

Does the VC server have "Poll for VMware" checked? it needs a domain\user that has view right, can you use https://<VCSERVER>/ui and are you able to log in with that user?

• I can get to all the servers through the web browsers. I used domain admin credentials for the VC and root user for the ESX servers, but when I hit the test button the credentials fail. I know the credentials are correct as they are the same thing I use when accessing vSphere or SSH into the ESX boxes.

One thing I noticed is I have to prompt through the security certificate. Could this cause an issue with Orion?

• If you edit in web node management one of the VMWare server, do you have "Poll VMWare" checked and the VMWare credentials defined here?

• They aren't checked, I have checked the box and added the applicable credentials and when I hit submit I get a prompt saying "Cannot login with selected vCenter or ESX credential. Are you sure you want to update this node with the current settings?" I hit okay anyway and then after it refreshes the box becomes unchecked.

I have checked the VM's that I have manually added and now they are at least showing as "Virtual, host unknown" next to hardware type just like the ESX boxes.

• Are you sure those credentials are correct?  From the Orion server, can you hit the web console for that VM and login with those credentials?

• I have the Certificate error too, but I don't have a problem saving the credentials.  If you have tried the browser on the Orion server (or telnet to port 443, did what ever to verify TCP port 443 is allowed from the orion server to the ESX/VC server), but are still having problems, then I would say you have a bug and either need to do a repair or open a ticket.

• Yes I can get to all of the servers through a web browser using the same credentials I have entered in NPM. Trust me I have made sure I entered them correctly several times. I guess I will have to open a ticket.

Thanks for the help.

• mmelton--

When you open a support ticket, would you:

--Reference this thread to Support.
    --Post back here with a case number.
    --Post any solutions you get from Support.

Many thx,

M

• I have given this thread to support and below is the case #. I will post the final resolution when it is uncovered.

Case #256070 - "VMware/ESX"

Thanks for the help

• Thanks to Jamie Kellerstass my issue is now resolved. It turns out the Orion server needed this entered in order for it to bypass the proxy when trying to access the vCenter/ESX host webpages.

In the C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion\VIM\SolarWinds.VIM.VMware.Jobs.dll.config we had to add this:

<system.net><defaultProxy enabled="false" /></system.net>

After adding this everything started functioning perfectly.

Thanks again Jamie!