This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM Upgrade Failed "The query has been cancelled because the estimated cost of this query (318) exceeds the configured threshold of 300. Contact the system administrator."

In upgrading from NPM we encountered the following error at the end of the configuration wizard:

"The query has been cancelled because the estimated cost of this query (xxx) exceeds the configured threshold of 300. Contact the system administrator."

After 3 hours, SW Support could not figure it out, they were trying to run "SET QUERY_GOVERNOR_COST_LIMIT value" but that's a "per-connection" query that would have had to be embedded in the installation's query for it to work.

I found an article from TechNet that showed me a way to change the limit for the entire SQL server:

1. SSMS: In the Server Properties dialog box, go to the Connections page.

2.  Select the option Use Query Governor To Prevent Long-Running Queries.

3. In the box below the option, type a maximum query cost limit. The valid range is 0 through 2,147,483,647. A value of 0 disables the query governor; any other value sets a maximum query cost limit.

4.  Click OK.

Ran the configuration wizard again and this problem was gone.

The configuration wizard failed again but for a different reason, something to do with SQL permissions of the SQL username used by SolarWinds for re-indexing something or other, SW Support did help with that one.

I hope this helps someone.