This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM Topology Mapper and Network Atlas

Hi,

So I've been trying to build maps in Network Atlas, and using the (awesome) ConnectNow function, but it doesn't seem to be working at all well. Where does it generate the information, and how can I make it more accurate? It seems to be using CDP and various other things. Would be great to have some feedback on how to make it more accurate.

Additionally, with Network Atlas, manually setting Point to Point circuits which would be Layer2, doesn't seem to work properly, and will mark the path as "Down" rather than up. This is connecting a customer port to a switch. The design is to have an Interface attached to a Network Device, and then to show the path that this traverses. Again, this is where ConnectNow isn't/doesn't seem to be working at all well. Example ascii version below.

Gi1/1 -doesnt-> SW1 <-works-> SW2

Thanks,

Alex.

• Hi Alex,

NPM does indeed use CDP as well as MAC address tables, ARP tables, and a bunch of other stuff to discover and calculate topology.  The following things help make it more accurate:

• Add all of the involved network devices to NPM.
    • Make sure topology polling is enabled on each node (list resources tells you).
    • Enable CDP where possible.
    • Verify SNMP credentials for your nodes are working.

Keep in mind that ConnectNow provides you with a representation of how two or more nodes connect directly to each other, even if there are intermediate device.  In other words, if you have network path A -> B -> C but only have A and C on your map then hit Connect Now, it will draw a line between A and C.  To discover the whole topology rather than logically connecting the nodes already in your map, you could use NTM.

• Hey,

Thanks for that, really helpful. In fact, what you've said is essentially what I'm after. I need to figure out why it's not working. CDP seems to be the most sensible. Is there anything Solarwinds does with Port Descriptions out of interest?

Thanks,

A.

• Is there anything Solarwinds does with Port Descriptions out of interest?

We certainly do a number of things with them in various places.  If you're asking if we do any interpretation of them to affect how we view the network topology though, the answer is no.

BTW, have you checked out this?: NTM 2.2 Beta1 - Building a Better Network Diagram Tool

• Nope! But I'll check it out.:)

• Hello cobrien:

Great post by the way. I have a problem to see icons in the Orion Web Console, the same that I create inn the Network Atlas, please see my Question: Map Object problems in the Orion Web Console, did you have tis problem before or did you heard about it.

Thanks A LOT., any answer that you can give me.