Hi I am wondering if someone can provide me with some pointers on how to troubleshoot some polling problems I am having.
NPM 9.1 SP5
Three Pollers on VM's with the Web Console on one the VM's with the Poller
# of Elements
Poller with Web Console - 4556
Poller 2 - 1704
Poller 3 - 4637
|Network Elements||10897 Elements|
|Polling Engines||3 Polling Engines|
|Last Database Archive||01-May-09 02:15 AM|
|Next Scheduled Database Archive||02-May-09 02:15 AM|
|Database Archive Time||02:15 AM|
|Retain Detail Stats||14 Days|
|Retain Hourly Stats||30 Days|
|Retain Daily Stats||365 Days|
|Retain Events||14 Days|
SQL Server -- Dedicated Server - Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3042.00 (X64)
Database size info-
total Space usage - 112 gigabytes
Data Space usage - 42.3 gigabytes
Index Space usage - 1.0 gigabytes
Free Space Available - 68.2 gigabytes
Database volume is on a SANS
looking at the graphs for interfaces-- I am seeing gaps-- The sampling rate is currently set to the default of 10 minutes. If I look at the the Polling Engines Stats there are times when the polling engines appear to be down --- i.e the polling engine "icon" is red.
The problem I having is whether this is a database problem or a network problem or something else. I have used the "polling tuner" to size the poll rates and I still see occasional problems. Today has been especially been a problem
Any help would greatly be appreciated...
I have experienced it before and perform the ff test
1. Check if the polling engine is with the same version with the primary server
start > progam files > solarwind orion > advanced features > monitor polling engine
if not. download the new version on the customer portal and apply it to all polling engine
2. Check if all services on each polling engine is running. If one service is in stopped mode then you can see the polling engine in red on your monitor polling engine
start > program files > solarwinds orion > advanced features > Orion service manager).
i.e syslog services. do take note that in NPM 9.1 SP5 Alert manager by default is stopped in all polling engine except on your primary server or web server
3. Restart the polling engine
4. Review polling completion percentage ( http://www.solarwinds.com/support/orion/docs/gaps/gaps.htm )
Select PollingCompletion from Enginesin the Query window, and then click Refresh.
5. Try to stopped and restart the solarwind network performance monitor and solarwind syslog services on Monitor Polling Engines. It will take some time before it goes to running state because of synchronization with the database
Hope it will help
SolarWinds solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base in the THWACK® online community. More than 150,000 members are here to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly contribute to our product development process. Learn more today by joining now.