cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

NPM - No Volume Information and No Email Alert Generation

Jump to solution

Over the last few days, I've noticed some peculiar things going on with NPM. First of all, today I realized some how, the SNMP service was uninstalled from the server. I corrected that issue but now I seem to be having some other issues. Mainly I am no longer getting storage volume updates from individual monitored servers and I emails have ceased to be sent out for things like high cpu usage and high bandwidth usage. We just lost our senior network engineer to another company so now I have to pick up the ball and run with it. Does anyone have any sort of ideas on where I can start looking?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

I went ahead and contacted solarwinds support. I felt the issue was a little more intense. 2 services were having issues running. The polling controller and the data processor would not stay running. They would start then immediately die with a JIT debugging error in the application log of windows. When I contacted solarwinds an engineer explained to me that some sql server compac files had gone corrupt (I believe they are sdf files or something). These files are basically responsible for transporting data from the poller to the sql database. When they are corrupted that process can't happen. The remedy was to shutdown all the services and including sql and recreate those files. Once they were recreated, there were some other minor problems (like having to rebuild the webpage from the configuration wizard) but all and all that was the major issue causing the problem. 

 

Solarwinds engineers are awesome. They were a huge help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 10

There may be many causes for this, and logging a Support Ticket is probably the best way to investigate this fully.

First check All Orion services are running. Perhaps the issue is with the connection to the SQL server. Evebt Viewer should shed some light on the root cause also.

0 Kudos

Rule out Orion as the problem by testing SNMP connectivity from the Orion server to the servers being monitored.

http://www.elifulkerson.com/articles/net-snmp-windows-binary-unofficial.php

This command will retrieve the system uptime:

snmpget.exe -v 2c -c CommunityStringHere ip.address.here 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0

If the target servers aren't responding, then you need to start looking at why they aren't.

0 Kudos

Good call smargh!

Apart from using the command line, there's a GUI tool located at :  C:\ProgramFiles\Solarwinds\Common\SWEmailNotify.exe

This will test the email gateway specified.

0 Kudos

I went ahead and contacted solarwinds support. I felt the issue was a little more intense. 2 services were having issues running. The polling controller and the data processor would not stay running. They would start then immediately die with a JIT debugging error in the application log of windows. When I contacted solarwinds an engineer explained to me that some sql server compac files had gone corrupt (I believe they are sdf files or something). These files are basically responsible for transporting data from the poller to the sql database. When they are corrupted that process can't happen. The remedy was to shutdown all the services and including sql and recreate those files. Once they were recreated, there were some other minor problems (like having to rebuild the webpage from the configuration wizard) but all and all that was the major issue causing the problem. 

 

Solarwinds engineers are awesome. They were a huge help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos