This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM, NCM server and pollers and the importance of versions

Hello everyone,

I have a server that runs NPM and NCM, with 2 additional pollers.  There have been issues lately and I'm thinking it is because they run a newer version of NPM and NCM on the server, but then older versions on their 2 pollers.  I could not find much information about this, I think everyone would expect it all to be upgraded at the same time.  The issues range from webpage timing out, to just running slow, to gaps of information missing on the node page.  The team restarts them and they are good to go for a bit (in regards to running).  All 3 run the same version of windows (2008r2), etc.  They all write to the same data base (sql 2008r2).  I'm thinking this is the core of the problem. 

I don't know how long they have been having the issues, nor do I know if an event coincides with when the problems started.  My guess is , the main server was upgraded, not the pollers.  In short this is causing issues with how they write to the database ( for example; how each version may define the column for something like CPU usage).  I think this may be the biggest issue overall.  Another issue I can think of by having a server with version A, and 2 pollers with version B could be the MIB and UnDPs?

Here are the versions:

Main server - NPM 11.5.2 , NCM 7.4

Poller 1 - NPM 11.0.4 , NCM 7.3.11

Poller 2 - NPM - 11.0.4, NCM- 7.3.11

Overall, my question is, is this a problem, or is there an acceptable level of compatibility between NPM versions?