cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

NPM Groups do not have Maps subview

I saw in a Youtube video on Solarwinds page (SolarWinds Lab Bits: Orion Maps - YouTube ) that groups can have a Map subview.  I have groups that were created prior to 12.3, and I created a new test group after the upgrade, and none of the groups have a Map subview.  Has anyone else seen this?  I have a case open but wanted to see if anyone has seen this.

Labels (1)
8 Replies
Level 12

if your group sub view groups are named exactly the same as the map or vise versa then you can use the following to pick them up

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

lynchnigel - this is in the event they are using Network Atlas maps in the groups, which would relate to one of my older posts:  Custom Maps for Group Details Page

In this case I believe our topic is Orion Platform 2018.2 Improvements - Chapter Two - Intelligent Mapping

0 Kudos
Level 13

I have the maps subview tabs, and all the devices are there, but it doesn't connect them into a real map.

John Handberg

Hi John,

After I posted this, I found that the view for my Groups had been changed to a different view.  Once I figured out which is the correct view, the Maps subview now appears.  I am seeing the same connection problem as well.  I made a group for an entire site, and most of the routers and switches are linked correctly.  However, the access points aren't showing as connected even though I am monitoring the switches and the uplinks they are connected to.

0 Kudos

orionfan and jhandberg - the new Orion Maps sub-view should be taking in data that is present in NPM.  In the groups you created, you both mention there are areas in which you expect to see connections but do not.  If you go to a node details of one of the devices which should have more connections in the group, does the map-subview page for that entity show all the connections you expect?  Where the entity details maps show everything in context from that entity, a group is going to show connections between the entities that make up the membership.  In essence, whatever is represented in the NPM Topology resource, will also be represented in the map.

pastedImage_0.png

For a group, the entity on either side would simply need to be there to create the connections. 

0 Kudos

I looked at a couple of devices in one of my sites for an example of this.  I can see some of the switches not showing the L2 topology data.  I am monitoring the interface directly connected to the neighbor interface and I can see the neighbor in the CDP neighbor table.  But there is no L2 topology listed.  The only thing listed on some of these is the L2 link between the WAN router and the first site switch.  Something is not working correctly here.

John Handberg
0 Kudos

Thanks jhandberg​ - I would suggest creating a support ticket and grabbing diags, some specific node IDs, and SNMP walks and that way the NPM engineering team can investigate.  If you would like to re-post the case number here so we can use this for reference, please do so. 

0 Kudos

I don't even have all the switches connected correctly in my groups.  Some of the groups only show the site router and first internal switch connected and maybe the upstream router.  Not sure what I am missing yet.

John Handberg
0 Kudos