This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM: Feature Request:: BIGIP Virtual Server Monitoring

Hi,

Im not sure how many people use BIG LTM for loadbalancing out there, but I was hoping that work could be done, in a similar way to the Wireless Controllers and ESX that could monitor Virtual servers on F5 BIG IP.

The dashboard on the BIGIP is not the greatest and I would prefer to monitor from SW.

Regards

Miron

• Hi Miron--I'll mark this for the PM to review.

M

• Miron,

many of us also have Big IP devices and have had some luck using custom pollers to monitor F5 Devices.  have a look under the content exchange area  and you can download custom UnP templates.

These pollers query the MIBs for VS info, pool info, Pool health, CPU, memory, etc

• While I am aware the you can create custom UnDP the question is do I want to.

Would I have rather said to SW that rather on deliver the ability to query cisco wlc devices as in inbuilt function not to worry I will spend my own time trying to come up with something that is going to do half the job and not so elegantly.

You cannot get a graph like with ESX with the various usage stats of each VS.

If no one asks no one gets

:-)

• Miron,

This is the second implementation of NPM 10 that I've worked on (at separate entities), and the first were using Aruba wireless controllers.  Once discovery was completed on those devices, there was a mountain of information that Orion gleaned from the controllers.

With this current implementation, we are using F5 Big IP load balancers, and I just assumed that Orion would once again wow me with it's ability to gather all the information we'd need.  Sadly, I was wholly disappointed with the results, and I'm left to kludge around with UnDPs that don't readily display in ways we want.

Not that it appears to matter, but F5 has been around longer than Aruba (~16 vs. ~9) and is arguably the leader in the technology it provides.

I'm hoping they'll get straight with monitoring F5 soon.

C.M.

NPM 10.0.0 SP1, NCM 5.5.2

• +1 We have 4 F5 in our datacenter. And I hate to do it with custom pollers/templates etc. Please make a dashboard for BigIP F5 LTM.

community driven solarwinds???

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

F5 and Citrix are pretty much the defacto leaders in the load-balancing market.

The F5 MIBs provide a TON of information, and I agree- I would love to see this built-in to the product.

SolarWinds- If you need a guinea pig, I volunteer.

• Add me to the group that would like to see this feature request.  I just turned up a pair of Big-IP 1600s in my data center today and already my boss is asking for virtual server performance metrics.

• We would be interested in this functionality as well.  We just recently implemented several Big-IP devices in our datacenter(s) and using UnDP functionality just doesn't cut it for us.  

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to tknutson

We would love this as well.