cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jron
Level 9

NPM Custom Property: Default Value

Hello,

We have run in to a problem where a lack of default values for nvarchar type custom properties has resulted in multiple rows containing NULL for the custom property.  This in turn, causes some problems with alert trigger queries that use that custom property.  Does SolarWinds support editing the default value for the custom property column with SQL?  I know how to make the changes, I just don't want to end up with an unsupported DB.  I can't seem to find any articles/posts concerning this matter.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

9 Replies
tomas.mrkvicka
Level 10

Re: NPM Custom Property: Default Value

Hi,

officially we don't support this but I don't think there should be any issue with it. Only one issue could potentially be during upgrade to next version.

So I would say that change could be fine but before any upgrade you should remove these default constraints from database (in order to be sure everything will be ok).

0 Kudos

You should be fine. I've given my custom fields blank default values. The upgrades haven't touched them.

Document your changes to be safe!

0 Kudos
jron
Level 9

Good to know, thanks for the information.  I think this would make a reasonable feature request, supporting default values for custom properties along with providing a tool or adding on to the custom property editor to give the user the option to set the value.

0 Kudos
tomas.mrkvicka
Level 10

Yes it could be small but useful feature so I definitelly agree with it. But I am not the one who decides about features So please feel free to create feature request.

0 Kudos
DanielleH Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi jron--

You can submit a feature request for NPM here.  If you do, I will link back to it here so others can add to the vote.

Thanks!
DH

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jron
Level 9

Thanks DH, I have posted the following in the feature request section

Also I have to say Thwack is pretty sweet, I didn't expect to get any responses at all the same day Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
d09h
Level 16

jron, if you don't have a huge number of alerts, perhaps you could modify them to require the custom property not equal NULL.  I can't recall particulars, but I seem to recall running into this.

If you have a huge number of alerts, I can see where your approach would be the lesser of two evils.

0 Kudos
DanielleH Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing that link!  You're making part of my job easier Smiley Wink

Thanks again,
DH

0 Kudos
netlogix
Level 15

If you ever want to remove the custom property in the future, you will need to turn off default values.  I had that problem removing one when I had a default value, but it wasn't setting the default value too, although I had that property since 8.x so that could be why there was weird stuff with it.

0 Kudos