This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM 12.3 SNMPv3 Deprecated in Windows 2016?

Hello Thwack Community!

I was wondering if anyone was able to configure and got SNMPv3 working on their solarwinds server that is utilizing Windows Server 2016 ? We recently migrated from windows 2008 to Windows 2016. Our nodes that are monitored via SNMPv3 worked fine using the test option on 2008 but when we attempt the same test in 2016, the test node failed. Anyone has clue what is wrong ?

• What tool are you using to install snmpv3 on your servers?  Microsoft does not include a method of natively supporting snmpv3 in windows so you have to have added some third party software at some point.

• Or are you saying that you upgraded your orion to 2016 and now the nodes that were already in with snmpv3 can no longer poll?

Did you migrate to a new server as part of that rebuild?  I suspect the new server can no longer decrypt the credentials that were in the database under the old system and you will need to re-enter their passwords for all the accounts, I've run into that issue before. 

• We did a migration from 2008 to 2016. Before we did full migration, we were on 2008R2 SP1, using NPM 12.1 on the window server 2008(SNMPv3 and v2 was working fine). We migration to 2016 using the same sql table with NPM 12.1. When we on 12.1 NPM on 2016, we notice SNMPv3 did not work, so we try to upgrade to latest version NPM 12.3. Still having same issue, did anyone successfully got SNMPv3 working on 2016 server without using third party program ? Or as of now, we need to use third party software with solarwinds to get SNMPv3 to work

• You won't need the third party solution for this issue, I misunderstood, that's for polling windows servers with SNMPv3 instead of WMI.  Your issue is that your new Orion server cannot correctly decrypt the passwords in the database because it doesn't have the same certificate that was on the old system (new server generated it's own new cert during the installation).  I *believe* that you can export the Solarwinds-Orion certificate from the old system and replace the one currently on your 2016 server if you still have that around.

Alternatively if you have those passwords saved you can just re-type them in the gui and it should update them to use the current certificate.

• After further researching, we notice our password for authentication and privacy utilizes special character . We remove the special character and test for SNMPv3 is now working fine.

I found this article stating some characters may not work.

Our environment is windows server 2016 with NPM 12.3, the device SNMPv3 was a cisco switch.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX202171