cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Product Manager
Product Manager

NPM 12.3 Orion 2018.2 Upgrade Feedback

What has your upgrade to NPM 12.3 on Orion Platform 2018.2 looked like? We on the product manager team would like to hear about it all, the good the bad and the ugly! For a starting point here is a quick getting started blog post on upgrading to 2018.2 Orion Platform: Preparing for the Upgrade to 2018.2

Tags (1)
310 Replies

Thank you! I'll send this right over.

0 Kudos
Level 9

The Solarwinds WPM Playback Player Proxy service, keeps stopping and restarting. Of course, after a while it triggers my HA, and swaps to the other server. It will continue in this loop, if i have preferred server configured. I have tried to reinstall all WPM/SEUM modules, and run config wizards with no luck. Similar to someone elses post here, im getting these errors.

2018-06-11 12:56:32,199 [4] WARN  SolarWinds.Orion.Common.Helpers.CryptoHelper - Trying to load SolarWinds.Orion.Security.dll from Orion install directory...

2018-06-11 12:56:32,293 [4] INFO  SolarWinds.Orion.Common.ConnectionStringProvider - SqlWinAuthImpersonate=true

2018-06-11 12:56:32,480 [4] WARN  SolarWinds.SEUM.Common.SEUMBusinessLayerProxy - An error occured when connecting to the communication channel.

2018-06-11 12:56:32,480 [4] ERROR SolarWinds.SEUM.AgentProxy.Http.AgentLongPollResponder - Unexpected error occured when processing AgentGuid in long poll request.

System.InvalidOperationException: An error occurred while loading attribute 'OperationBehaviorAttribute' on method 'AgentAdd' in type 'ISEUMBusinessLayer'.  Please see InnerException for more details. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SolarWinds.Orion.Channels, Version=10001.2.1.1540, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

at System.ModuleHandle.ResolveType(RuntimeModule module, Int32 typeToken, IntPtr* typeInstArgs, Int32 typeInstCount, IntPtr* methodInstArgs, Int32 methodInstCount, ObjectHandleOnStack type)

at System.ModuleHandle.ResolveTypeHandleInternal(RuntimeModule module, Int32 typeToken, RuntimeTypeHandle[] typeInstantiationContext, RuntimeTypeHandle[] methodInstantiationContext)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.ResolveType(Int32 metadataToken, Type[] genericTypeArguments, Type[] genericMethodArguments)

at System.Reflection.CustomAttribute.FilterCustomAttributeRecord(CustomAttributeRecord caRecord, MetadataImport scope, Assembly& lastAptcaOkAssembly, RuntimeModule decoratedModule, MetadataToken decoratedToken, RuntimeType attributeFilterType, Boolean mustBeInheritable, Object[] attributes, IList derivedAttributes, RuntimeType& attributeType, IRuntimeMethodInfo& ctor, Boolean& ctorHasParameters, Boolean& isVarArg)

at System.Reflection.CustomAttribute.GetCustomAttributes(RuntimeModule decoratedModule, Int32 decoratedMetadataToken, Int32 pcaCount, RuntimeType attributeFilterType, Boolean mustBeInheritable, IList derivedAttributes, Boolean isDecoratedTargetSecurityTransparent)

at System.Reflection.CustomAttribute.GetCustomAttributes(RuntimeMethodInfo method, RuntimeType caType, Boolean inherit)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.GetCustomAttributes(Type attributeType, Boolean inherit)

at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceReflector.GetCustomAttributes(ICustomAttributeProvider attrProvider, Type attrType, Boolean inherit)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceReflector.GetCustomAttributes(ICustomAttributeProvider attrProvider, Type attrType, Boolean inherit)

at System.ServiceModel.Description.TypeLoader.CreateOperationDescriptions(ContractDescription contractDescription, ContractReflectionInfo reflectionInfo, Type contractToGetMethodsFrom, ContractDescription declaringContract, MessageDirection direction)

at System.ServiceModel.Description.TypeLoader.CreateContractDescription(ServiceContractAttribute contractAttr, Type contractType, Type serviceType, ContractReflectionInfo& reflectionInfo, Object serviceImplementation)

at System.ServiceModel.Description.TypeLoader.LoadContractDescriptionHelper(Type contractType, Type serviceType, Object serviceImplementation)

at System.ServiceModel.ChannelFactory`1.CreateDescription()

at System.ServiceModel.ChannelFactory.InitializeEndpoint(Binding binding, EndpointAddress address)

at System.ServiceModel.ChannelFactory`1..ctor(Binding binding, EndpointAddress remoteAddress)

at SolarWinds.SEUM.Common.SEUMBusinessLayerProxy.MakeTcpChannelFactory(String host, String port)

at SolarWinds.SEUM.Common.SEUMBusinessLayerProxy.Connect()

at SolarWinds.SEUM.Common.SEUMBusinessLayerProxy..ctor(String host, String port, HandleBusinessLayerException exceptionDelegate)

at SolarWinds.SEUM.Common.BusinessLayerFactory.Create(String serverName, String port, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean cacheProxy)

at SolarWinds.SEUM.Common.BusinessLayerFactory.Create(Boolean throwOnError)

at SolarWinds.SEUM.AgentProxy.AgentProxy.AgentRegistrationNeeded(Guid agentGuid, String agentName, Agent& agent)

at SolarWinds.SEUM.AgentProxy.AgentProxy.RegisterLongPollConnection(LongPollConnection connection)

at SolarWinds.SEUM.AgentProxy.Http.AgentLongPollResponder.Respond(IHttpListenerContext context)

0 Kudos

This looks to be similar at first glance to the issue reported by a gentleman earlier in the thread. Have you already opened a support ticket on this issue?

0 Kudos
Level 9

The upgrade took way longer than any other I have done in the last few years, but that is namely because we have an extremely large environment.  Other than the upgrade taking a long time, it was pretty good.  One other problem that I have run into and have not yet been able to get past is that we have SQL2014 and not 2016, so I could not upgrade our NTA.  Now when I try to install a new poller I get the error that I can't download the NTA files.  Exact error is below

We are unable to download file SolarWinds-Orion-NTA.msi from main server. Please check connection to main server and try again.

0 Kudos

Did you perchance participate in our RC program?

0 Kudos

I have upgraded our environment that is successfully completed.

er.vansh17091  wrote:

I have upgraded our environment that is successfully completed.

That's wonderful news. Do you have any feedback on the upgrade process itself?

0 Kudos

We recently upgrade our 5 modules (NTA, IPAM, NCM, SAM and NPM) to the 12.2. It was huge as we needed to upgrade windows from 2008 to 2016 and SQL from 2008 to 2016, then the applications. I must say, it was easier than I expected, thanks to SolarWinds team hardwork in providing the all-in-one installer. After OS/SQL upgrade, I did one click on the installer, and it checked and upgraded all 5 modules without issues. then I ran the APE installer, all went well too. A month later, one of our sites isn't polling any bandwidth statistics. It shows zero and SolarWinds has been troubleshooting with us but no solution still.

Thank you for the new installer

Product Manager
Product Manager

wrote:

We recently upgrade our 5 modules (NTA, IPAM, NCM, SAM and NPM) to the 12.2. It was huge as we needed to upgrade windows from 2008 to 2016 and SQL from 2008 to 2016, then the applications. I must say, it was easier than I expected, thanks to SolarWinds team hard in providing the all-in-one installer. After OS/SQL upgrade, I did one click on the installer, and it checked and upgraded all 5 modules without issues. then I ran the APE installer, all went well too. A ticket has been opened but no solution still.

Thank you for the new installer

Thank you for this wonderful feedback!

0 Kudos

It seemed like you only reported 100% success in this post, yet you referenced a ticket was opened that had no progress/resolution yet.  On what issue was the ticket opened?  Was it part of your upgrade, which seemed so successful?  Or something else?

0 Kudos

I did not, we upgraded a little earlier than I would have liked because the new version has a much large capacity than our current version and we still need to stand up about a dozen more APEs in different sites.

0 Kudos

If you copy the installer directory from a updated polling engine then rerun should do the trick

c:\programdata\solarwinds\installers I think

0 Kudos

Unfortunately that didn't work either, if I knew the order to install all the modules, I may be able to install them one at a time, and install that one when I have the prerequisites done, unfortunately I don't know that.  Anyone have info on how to do that?

0 Kudos

in your installer folder on the main poller does it have the file SolarWinds-Orion-NTA.msi?

0 Kudos

The main poller has all the files, and I have copied them all over to the APEs, but the installer seems to still wants to down load those files from the main poller.

0 Kudos

mkharris528  wrote:

The main poller has all the files, and I have copied them all over to the APEs, but the installer seems to still wants to down load those files from the main poller.

Please try workaround #2 Failed to download or run the Scalability Engine installer from the main server - SolarWinds Worldwi... and let me know if that works for you.

Getting the install files from another poller worked, thanks for the help!!!

Excellent I'm glad that worked

0 Kudos
Level 13

0 Kudos

when changing ups fahrenheit to Celsius via a user account all the temps change to 0.

Also would be good to be able to change the default to celsius for all users rather than per account

0 Kudos

HF1 fixed my UPS issues

0 Kudos