cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Product Manager
Product Manager

NPM 12.3 Orion 2018.2 Upgrade Feedback

What has your upgrade to NPM 12.3 on Orion Platform 2018.2 looked like? We on the product manager team would like to hear about it all, the good the bad and the ugly! For a starting point here is a quick getting started blog post on upgrading to 2018.2 Orion Platform: Preparing for the Upgrade to 2018.2

Tags (1)
310 Replies

dodo123 , we have tried extensively to reproduce this issue internally to no avail. Would you please open a support ticket so we can investigate further?

ticket logged #00117811

0 Kudos

Thanks to serena​ for the dev assisted upgrade. Not only that, but we ended up adding ~5 modules at the same time. The upgrade was completely smooth, and the only true issues we had were file transfer limitations and not solarwinds ones. +10000 for smoothness

Post upgrade, however, I have approximately 3 cases open for various issues plaguing the system ranging from traps impacting the server, netflow generally not loading, IPAM apparently being broken, APC polling not working through the new feature, and a variety of issues including MSMQ problems/netperfmon website crashing on the main polling engine (MPE). It has not been smooth sailing since then.

I am patching SQL today so we can preform the upgrade next week Thursday.  Hoping things go without a hitch!

I would love to know more about how your upgrade goes. Keep me posted please

serena​ I have been following this thread and it is making me a bit nervous on updating my systems tomorrow.  Have most of the updates been successful?  Orion server has 8CPU, 48GB RAM, Windows 2016.  SQL Server - 8CPU, 128GB RAM, Windows 2016, SQL 2016 SP2.  I reading some of the comments have me just a little nervous.

0 Kudos

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/people/martian%20monster  wrote:

serena  I have been following this thread and it is making me a bit nervous on updating my systems tomorrow.  Have most of the updates been successful?  Orion server has 8CPU, 48GB RAM, Windows 2016.  SQL Server - 8CPU, 128GB RAM, Windows 2016, SQL 2016 SP2.  I reading some of the comments have me just a little nervous.

At this point over a thousand customers have upgraded, with the majority having no issues. I don't blame you at all for having some reservations, I would be in the same boat except that I'm able to see the support load and I've already done an upgrade myself to my own lab. Your environment has 2016, which means you'll be set up well to take advantage of NTA 4.4 and not have to rebuild and do migrations for a while. Make sure you take a backup of your database as usual, and please let me know if you run into issues. As you can see I'm looking at this thread and responding to dms every day.

Update ran very nicely.  The actual update of all of the Solarwinds software took about an hour.  Had a few issues with updating some of the agents but that has happened in the past and usually a restart of the service on the node fixes it. Now to have a look at the new features in the update. 

Update ran very nicely.  The actual update of all of the Solarwinds software took about an hour.  Had a few issues with updating some of the agents but that has happened in the past and usually a restart of the service on the node fixes it. Now to have a look at the new features in the update. 

Dave,

Mind me asking how big your environment is? Do you have one server with multiple products or do you have scalability engines?

0 Kudos

Nothing too crazy 584 nodes between 2 data centers and 6 locations across the US.  Right now just one app server running Orion, VNQM, IPAM, SAM, DPAIM, NCM, VMAN, NetPath, NPM and NTA.  There is a separate SQL server for Orion, DPA, and NTA. 

Nothing too crazy 584 nodes between 2 data centers and 6 locations across the US.  Right now just one app server running Orion, VNQM, IPAM, SAM, DPAIM, NCM, VMAN, NetPath, NPM and NTA.  There is a separate SQL server for Orion, DPA, and NTA. 

Thank you very much! that helps

0 Kudos

serena​ - Looks like alerts stopped sending over the weekend Friday at 10:38PM.  My guess is going to be a port exhaustion issue but I have yet to look at it yet.  FYI...

serena  - Looks like alerts stopped sending over the weekend Friday at 10:38PM.  My guess is going to be a port exhaustion issue but I have yet to look at it yet.  FYI...

Thank you! If you can send us your support ticket, I can follow it and link it to other possible trends.

0 Kudos

Ticket number – 00121980 Also database maintenance is not running either.

Dave Lando

DLSS

Dave.Lando@dlss.com

Sorry for all the bits and pieces here but the other thing this update did was change my primary website to the server name that is running Orion.  A few updates ago I had this same issue where an alert was sent out and there is a link to the node in the email - instead of having the correct link it had the server name so it went nowhere.  I followed this to fix it Configure website URL for Alerts and Reports - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support  and it worked but a few additional questions.  Can I also update the port number via the database manager to use 443?  Also there are 2 older sites that are no longer in use - can I remove them as well? 

0 Kudos

Sorry for all the bits and pieces here but the other thing this update did was change my primary website to the server name that is running Orion.  A few updates ago I had this same issue where an alert was sent out and there is a link to the node in the email - instead of having the correct link it had the server name so it went nowhere.  I followed this to fix it Configure website URL for Alerts and Reports - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support  and it worked but a few additional questions.  Can I also update the port number via the database manager to use 443?  Also there are 2 older sites that are no longer in use - can I remove them as well? 

The KB article you referenced above is for older versions of Orion. You should be populating your web server address under [Settings > Web Console Settings].

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

So this morning on 'Is Solarwinds going to work' I had users logging in and NCM was reporting it was not to date and needed to be updated to load.  It also looks like alerts stopped then restarted again.   I still  have my snapshots from last week before I did the update and if these problems continue to happen I may revert the servers and wait until all the bugs get fixed in these releases. 

0 Kudos

Interface traffic statistics stops being polled after after 24 to 48 hours. All interface statistics graphs are empty.

Confirmed not a permissions based issue, nor a database connectovoty issue/ This can be resolved by running Configuration Wizard every few hours - 24h in our case.

Deltona​ Are you seeing all of the other metrics showing up, only missing the interface stats? I am having a similar issue, but only on my APE, and that environment is still on 12.2. Primary server appears to poll and show everything from all elements. APE appears to randomly stop polling interface statistics only. The APE continues to poll node stats, and everything else, just not interface stats. Rebooting the APE seems to clear the issue for a while, but it will almost certainly come back again. I think I have seen it occur 3-4 times in as many months.

Hi wluther

CPU, MEM, VOL, Latency and Packet Loss all work fine. It's just the interface metrics that are missing on nodes polled by the PPE. The APE servers have stats for interfaces showing up without issues.

0 Kudos

aLTeReGo​ I know there are several obvious differences we are each having, some even being on different NPM versions (12.2 vs 12.3), but a few of our symptoms seem to be oddly similar. I'm not sure if nafees.khan​ or Deltona​ already have cases open (for the missing interface stats), but if it helps, here is my case for that issue. I am currently running wireshark on my APE, in hopes to capture something the next time the issue appears.

Case # 00082603 - Our SolarWinds environment appears to have unexpectedly stopped polling interface statistics last week.

This case was created on 2018.04.09, and I first noticed the issue a few days prior.

Thank you,

-Will

0 Kudos