cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 14

NPM 12.2 Upgrade Experience Feedback?

Jump to solution

Anyone have any upgrade experiences for the general release?

We are looking to upgrade our entire SW suite in addition to NPM and would like to hear any feedback.

Also, is the RC code the same as the GR code?

Thanks in advance

Tags (1)
1 Solution
Product Manager
Product Manager

This thread has been super helpful and given us many conversation points and feedback. However, the thread is now gotten unwieldy and hard to parse through the feedback. I'm locking this thread and for those of you who are participating in our RCs, invite you to come give additional feedback on my post  Orion Platform: Preparing for the Upgrade to 2018.2  in the NPM release candidate forum. Once we are out of RC, I'll be starting a new topic thread for upgrade feedback for NPM 12.3.

Thank you and for those of you with whom I have ongoing conversations, we'll find other avenues to move forward on those topics.

View solution in original post

224 Replies
Product Manager
Product Manager

This thread has been super helpful and given us many conversation points and feedback. However, the thread is now gotten unwieldy and hard to parse through the feedback. I'm locking this thread and for those of you who are participating in our RCs, invite you to come give additional feedback on my post  Orion Platform: Preparing for the Upgrade to 2018.2  in the NPM release candidate forum. Once we are out of RC, I'll be starting a new topic thread for upgrade feedback for NPM 12.3.

Thank you and for those of you with whom I have ongoing conversations, we'll find other avenues to move forward on those topics.

View solution in original post

The upgrade itself went fine.  The problem now is that my custom network atlas maps do not always load on my NOC screen.

pastedImage_0.png

It's completely random... sometimes it works and sometimes not.  I have the same problem when trying to expand groups on my main Orion summary page as well.

0 Kudos

Mike and thwacksters,

I had the same issue and after many weeks working with support and Devs they finally got a work around look below. DISCLAIMER (I don't know if they have a KB and I do not warrant or assume any risk as this is not an official release  or my own, but only that it seemed to work for me.  I do not take responsibility for any issues that may arise as I cannot predict issues.  As always make sure you back up your database and make sure you make snapshots or create backup copies of any original files you modify before you modify them.)  If you have any issues solar winds has a crack squad of engineers, devs, and support staff.

1. Backup the file below and save it outside the default directory

2. Edit the file (open in Notepad)

(YOUR INSTALL DIRECTORY):\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Information Service\3.0\Schemas\SettingsSchema.xml

3. Insert the highlighted line: <allow operations="r" />

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<schema xmlns="http://schemas.solarwinds.com/2008/12/InformationServiceSchema">
<informationModel>
<entity name="Orion.Setting" base="System.Entity" federate="true">
<accessControl>
<allow operations="r" />
<allow operations="ru" right="admin" />
</accessControl>

4. Save the file. The change will be picked up immediately, no services restarts are necessary.

After this maps work as expect.  Please reply on this forum if it works for you as that mayh prompt a faster KB release.  The devs did mention the map issue should be fixed in the next release however you never know if it really is that same issue so this should work till an official release documents that fix in the release notes.

Regards,

That did it... thanks!

0 Kudos

Your welcome I have also posted it in this article I was trying to track before I got the workaround.  Mark as helpful or as a correct answer if you agree.  I hope that will hint others to see the work around

NPM is not showing any MAP ( Error: An unexpected error occurred.)

0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing that Adam.  I wish more people would share the workarounds here.

themikeramsey,

What version of Orion Core do you have?  Look at the bottom of your webpage and check to see if you have "Orion Platform 2017.3.5 SP5".  If you do, there is a recent issue we experience with our Atlas refresh and timeout we were able to get resolved.  Let me know what you find.

0 Kudos

Yes... 2017.3.5 SP5

0 Kudos
Level 8

My efforts involved working closely with Solarwinds Dev and SE team since we were upgrading from 11.5.3 (and associated modules) to 12.2HF5 (and associated modules).  The recommendations and subsequent testing prove there is no easy path for upgrade especially if when having numerous modules.  We have NPM, SAM, IPAM, NTA, VNQM, DPA, VMAN, UDT, Web ETS, SRM and NCM all of which have there own upgrade path until you reach 12.2 (Full 2.8GB Package).  The fact we have more than 20 deployments of this package throughout our organization, this was a large undertaking.

My recommendation is to consider uninstalling some of the modules that are notorious for having upgrade issue e.g:

IPAM - has issues during installation specific to licensing and crashing during install between 12.01 and 12.1

DPA - due to changes in how it installs in the future as an integrated solution

VMAN - due to changes in how it installs in the future as an integrated solution

UDT - experienced numerous crashes during testing and deployment

Web ETS - Hands down causes all sorts of issues during upgrade and not a critical solution

Additionally any installation of NTA external to the primary Solarwinds server should be a consideration, timing of upgrading the FSDB server can prevent delays during the installation.  I did try to upgrade direct from 12.0 to 12.2 and that did not go well either and was inconsistent during each test.  So we decided to move this the transitional upgrade from 12.01 (associated modules) to 12.1 (associated modules) to the final 12.2 HF5 (all modules) then reinstall those modules that cause issues at the end.

I hope this helps, but make sure no matter what you backup databases and configurations before you proceed.  One more than one occasion we were able to save our butts because we backed up the database after each upgrade stage.  More than once I had to fall back to the 12.01 or 12.1 database because the install corrupted the database.

Good luck

Level 12

We have had numerous hurdles and issues with our path to NPM 12.2 and modules. I strongly suggest engaging a strong help desk support person (probably numerous times and different people), and if you can, a dedicated solarwinds engineer through your Sales Engineer at solarwinds. Double and triple check everything. Solarwinds is obviously a very complex platform, and you will need to craft a strong upgrade plan. Even if you are lucky to have a lab/DEV environment, issues may not happen there may happen in your PROD platform.

0 Kudos

Do you mind sharing your support case number with me privately? I'd like to see more details about what went wrong with your upgrade!

0 Kudos

Serena,

The ticket and private conversation about that information is not appropriate this for reasons I cannot discuss, so I will have to decline your request.  But I will gladly continue any questions you have on the open forum.  Thx.

0 Kudos

Of course!

First question: Why is your deployment considered out of the norm?

0 Kudos

There are many customizations, security compliance and ADUC GPO security implemented on each server.  Not the traditional Commercial of the shelf build.

0 Kudos
Level 8

We have had numerous challenges with the recent upgrade (full SW suite).  Depending on your upgrade path, e.g. what version you are upgrading from, I would say proceed with caution.  Additionally, I recommend you validate what NPM package or Hotfix you plan to install.  The recent release of NPM 12.2 release date March 16, 2018 that includes Hotfix 5 you may want to reach out to Tech Support first.  We specifically experienced an issue with the release, though our deployment was somewhat out of the norm.

What release version are you upgrading from?

0 Kudos

I'd love to continue the conversation with you privately, to know more details about your deployment and how it was out of the norm. Would you mind if I sent you an email to continue the discussion?

0 Kudos
Level 16

need one confirmation from ppl who have recently installed latest NPM, SAM and VMAN. In the customer portal, i am getting below option for online and offline.

But offline i dont see a comment stating 'it includes latest hotfix', so do i need to install the hotfix part separately?

And for every module i need to download separately OR doing one will allow to select all and proceed?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

The offline installer contains the latest hotfixes as well.

0 Kudos

thanks serena

Since the hotfix installer had latest date so i wanted to cross check...

Hi pratikmehta003​,

As per my understanding and upgrade done, if you are upgrading to 12.2 via one installer, then it would take care of latest hotfixes of all the modules you have. If you have upgraded sometime back to 12.0 (when it was released), then you need to download and install the latest hotfix.

0 Kudos