This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM 12.2 Upgrade Experience Feedback?

Anyone have any upgrade experiences for the general release?

We are looking to upgrade our entire SW suite in addition to NPM and would like to hear any feedback.

Also, is the RC code the same as the GR code?

Thanks in advance

• Everything went extremely smooth for me. I upgraded NPM, SAM, NCM, UDT, IPAM, and VIM. Much faster upgrade than normal and didn't run into any issues.

• We built out a new server to finally get off of 2008.   I was rather dreading this migration and update but it could not have been smoother.   I scheduled a 6 hour downtime window and we were back up and running in just over two ( and of course half of that time was waiting for the Website Optimization to complete emoticons_wink.png )    We migrated/updated  NPM, NCM, IPAM, SAM, WPM and NTA.   No issues.

• Thanks. So you built a new box(s) and pointed to old DB?

I’m doing in place. And support is giving me wildly conflicting upgrade plans since the PUA has the known bugs.

• Interesting.  I'm a version back--NPM 12.0.1.  The PUA says it can't handle the upgrade to 12.2.  Some internal SW folks told me in a Thwack meeting today that I had to download another set of app installers to get the job done.  Then Support told me to just use the PUA to get to 12.1, then use the NEW PUA to go to 12.2.

Sadly I'm dealing with Server 2008 issues, so until I get the new VM licensing for 2012 resolved, I'm on hold for 12.2.

• Yes, built out a new server and brought it up using the name/ip of our older server.   Installed software and updated all in one step using our old DB.   As worried as I was about this one it turned out to be the smoothest SW upgrade I have ever done.
    Roughly followed this upgrade doc

• I brought a server on NPM 12.0.1, SAM 6.3.0, NCM 7.5.1, UDT 3.2.4, and SRM 6.3.0 directly to the current releases with the new installer without any issues.  There is no need to take an interim step of going to 12.1.  One word of warning, the installer will check for incompatibilities with existing modules and will refuse to proceed if any are found.  In this case, the client had installed a version of the Patch Manager Orion module that was not compatible with their other existing modules and the new installer wouldn't proceed with it installed.  Once the PM module was uninstalled, the upgrade went through without issue.

• That's very encouraging, blsanner​ 

My Product Upgrade Advisor says it doesn't handle NPM 12.2-only 12.1.  I think this might have been why it was suggested I upgrade from 12.01. to 12.1--that perhaps the PUA could handle going from 12.1 to 12.2, but not from 12.0.1 to 12.2.

Was this new installer something you had to download separately?

• No, if you look at the downloads for NPM 12.2, it's an all in one installer.  They have both an online one, which is real small (~11 MB), and an offline one which is over 2 GB.  This installer will install/upgrade all Orion modules at once, which means only one run through of the Configuration Wizard.  I looked at the extracted installers while it was running and it included the last 2 - 3 versions of each module, apparently in case an interim upgrade was needed.  Note that was for the offline installer which is what I had to use because the client's servers didn't have Internet access.  The online installer will download whatever installers it needs.