Hi Christopher! I'm happy to look at your support ticket and see if we can reroute it. Thanks for sending me your support ticket #.
This afternoon I had a successful upgrade from NPM 12.0.1 to 12.2. Thanks to serena and her peers, I think we all learned some useful things about users like me, and ASA 5525-X's, and the upgrade process.
Time will tell how much new learning curve I have in front of me, but this upgrade certainly shows tremendous progress towards simplifying and making a "complete" upgrade of all SW products intuitive and successful.
It went more smoothly, and much better, with less frustration on my part, than all previous Solarwinds upgrades I've done.
Kudos to you Solarwinds!
Environment before upgrade.
NPM 12.1, NTA 4.2.2, VMAN 7.1, IPAM 4.5.0, NCM 7.6, SAM 6.4, SRM 6.4
First about a month ago I started preparing and moved our main NPM/Orion from 2008 server to 2016. Then a few weeks ago moved NTA from 2008 to 2016. Our SQL was/is already on a new platform being supported. We used to have STM or the old profiler running on a 2008 server too, but no longer use it so just disabled that integration to be left with just SRM.
Ran the new install file. I didn't note all the warnings, but nothing was a red flag not allowing me to continue. Even though we have more RAM and CPU cores than required, it complained because our VM environment has 2.2GHz and not the required 3.0 I think it said. Another warning was on our VMAN 7.1 saying we would either need to migrate after the upgrade, or moved to VMAN 8 appliance.
This was probably the smoothest large update I have done as we had 5 product updates. I was nervous and worried. Once finished, I ran NTA 4.3.2 on our separate DB server. I then ran the VMAN wizard to change from 7.1 appliance to the new VMAN Orion poller.
Total outage was around 35 mins for us.
I have noticed some bugs/issues, but as for the upgrade process I'm relieved and hope they continue to build on this and become more comfortable for all.
I am very interested to know how you upgraded your servers and sql from 2008 to 2016 because I am in the process of doing an in-place upgrade for both from 2008 to 2016 before upgrading our 5 SolarWinds products to the latest version, but I'm very nervous.
Did you do a direct upgrade from Win server 2008 to 2016 and SQL server from 2008 to 2016 successfully? Migration to new would have been easier but mine is same machine (in-place)
Your response is highly appreciated.
We are migrating to NPM v12.2, NCM, SRM, WPM, etc. from NPM 11.5.3. on WIN 2008 and WIN 2012 servers to WIN 2016 and SQL 2016.
What is great about the server migration, is that we can build out our entire new environment whilst old solarwinds chugs away. Once the database is transferred over from the old system and built up, and all reports, etc. verified we simply, on the night of the change, transfer back to our real licenses, switch urls, and go live with little to no risk and little to no downtime.
The tricky part is you can't update to NPM12.2 on windows 2008R2 so you can only upgrade to NPM12.1, then move the database over to new NPM12.1 server on windows 2016. After the move you can then update to NPM12.2 and associated modules with the new installer. We're doing a second iteration of my above upgrade today. Hopefully it'll be a little smoother since doing the first one a couple weeks ago.
Upgrade 12.2 RC1 - RC3 to 12.2 official. Seems kind of weird, but RC3 became the defacto official.
Anyway, I have noticed some interesting anomalies that have been a bear to troubleshoot.
First: One of my ASA devices would not show serial number and site to site VPN. In fact I have to make sure that only the Node Details my SolarWinds is selected to provide the SNMP data for the details. Anything other poller the device will become an unknown.
Second: I just went and looked at the reports to find the report that provides the inventory which would let me mitigate the fact that one of three ASA devices doesn't show the serial number and behold, there are 0, ZERO reports listed.
Third: One of the best outputs of in these recent versions is being able to monitor site to site VPNs, stopped working. While working with tech support I found out that there is going to be a HOT FIX to repair something.
I am working to get a separate SQL server stood up which will help I think and eventually a physical server to remove it from the sometime sketchy virtual environment.
so i went with the upgrade just now i have npm, ncm, ipan and udt
and this is the error i got, and now i have a complete unusable system
SolarWinds solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base in the THWACK® online community. More than 150,000 members are here to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly contribute to our product development process. Learn more today by joining now.