cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted

Re: NPM 12.2 Upgrade Experience Feedback?

Jump to solution

I don't know the reason.  I suspect it's a pricing issue.  We don't have SAM and DPA due to the cost, and also due to the SA's and DBA's relying on the free version of NAGIOS and their own best-of-breed tools specially built for their systems, which don't integrate into any enterprise single pane-of-glass.  If licensing (and resource requirements) for NAM included SAM and DPA, I'd have it everywhere.  As it is, we have enough SQL and Oracle servers and databases that the licenses for SAM and DPA to manage all of them would cost my organization in excess of $1M.  That just MIGHT be why NAM doesn't include them . . .

I could be wrong . . .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

Hi @rschroeder

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello.

May I help you?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Jump to solution

We actually provide an add on option for NAM called ACM. Application Centric Monitoring | SolarWinds  this include SAM & WPM as part of the package!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Yes, built out a new server and brought it up using the name/ip of our older server.   Installed software and updated all in one step using our old DB.   As worried as I was about this one it turned out to be the smoothest SW upgrade I have ever done.
Roughly followed this upgrade doc

Product Manager
Product Manager

Jump to solution

Wonderful! thanks for the feedback

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

we have upgraded the 12.1 version to the latest version 12.2 and installed other modules and from 13 September 2017 CPU utilization is above 95% on main poller and additional polling engines. Dev environment is also showing the same behavior. Core BusinessLayerHost  and NCM Businesslayer process eating up around 70% of the CPU. Now Development team asked to for the procdump to check what is the issue. Still Support don't have any definite answer why it is happening.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

Keep us posted on this...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

We had a similar issue after upgrading to version 12.1 where we had a memory leak.  It turns out our problem was related to a bad dashboard.  The dashboard was doing a long running query that never finished and spike memory.  It has been my experience with the product most CPU and memory issues are tied back to something that we have done environmentally.  We have had better experiences after applying all the latest hot fixes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

I would like to comment and possibly give you some helpful advice to get from Win Server2008 R2 to an upgrade path to at least 2012.

FIRST, PLEASE take back ups of ALL servers that you are using for Solarwinds. That would mean the primary server with NPM, etc and the secondary server for NTA as well as the Database server. (of course any secondary pollers are included in this steam but are thought of as accepted thought. Please STOP all pollers before proceeding. You should update them while the others are being updated, as best as you can.)

One note, if you have not upgraded your database server yet, please find a server with at least SQL2014 on it. If you need to build one, that has SQL 2014 on it, then so be it. MOVE the database by using export and import in SQL. Consult your local SQL expert for assistance!

Now the steps we successfully took to get to where you are headed:

First, convert the secondary server for NTA. This will give  you some experience in how the steps flow. Besides, practice is good when only a secondary agent based server is involved. It is much easier to restore and gives needed confidence.

2. Once you have shut the server apps down, get the install for Win Server2012 from Microsoft. Install that version and then note that the Registry will need to be modified per Microsoft's KB found here:

Knowledgebase: Known Issue with Windows and Windows Server Technical Preview in a pre-Windows Server...

This is noted if you are the first to have a 2012 or greater server version.

3. Do all of the upgrades to 2012.         I will note a shortcut, that we did, if you go further, later in this step list.

4. You should have re-booted your server multiple times during the upgrade and the subsequent updates.  Do that re-boot one more time even though the system doesn't ask for it.

5. If you are on the secondary server for NTA, ALL of the services should have started. If you did the registry hack mentioned above, you should see all of them running. If you get an error for YOUR machine, please note it and consult the MS website. We did not have any problems after the KB hack above.

6. If you are on the Primary server for NPM and you have followed the steps mentioned already, start all of the tasks for SW products. If you get a message that states the Solarwindsagent64 failed, re-install the agent by using the repair function from the config manager (as if you were installing the software for the first time. Take the "Repair" option.)

7. Once you are satisfied that NPM,NCM, NTA and such are running, you should be good to go at the Winserver2012 level.

HERE COMES THE SHORTCUT mentioned above should you upgrade to the next level of Winserver.

8. In our case, we upgraded to WinServer2016 for the applications servers, NPM, ETC. and the secondary NTA server.

The steps are the same as above, starting with installing WinServer2012 BUT:

9. Don't bother with the 2012 upgrades. You DO need to put the registry update in, as mentioned above. Then upgrade to WinServe2016!

10. Since Winserver2016 seems to fulfill all of the 2012 updates in a cumulative fashion, there is no need to do them. YOU MUST do the Winserver2016 updates; all of them.

11. Once 2016 is installed, make sure that all tasks, including the SW tasks, start. We had a problem with task "SolarwindsAgent64". It threw an error that seemed familiar but, we just re-installed the task "SolarwindsAgent64" in the repair function and all was well.

12. REBOOT the server yet again, please!

13. Make sure that all functions and tasks start.

14. Once the tasks and the WEBSITE have started, go into each function of the software to load it. Your Summary page first, then the sub-pages from the pull down and then each application such as NTA, NCM, etc. The first time, they will be very slow to come up. It seems that IIS and its sub-tasks need to load them once, first. ALSO note, NETPATH seems to have to start for some reason. That is found in the drop down under NETWORK -> NETPATH, if you have that running.

15. Watch your memory consumption and add more as needed. This is much easier if you are on VM, of course. Add more disk space as well.

16. Once the system is fully up, it seems to go faster. Eventually, it will be necessary to add more memory and disk space.

Give the system some time to function, especially NetPath and NTA. They seem to take a little more time to gather data at start up.

Have at it.

I hope this give you a basis for upgrading.

NOW you can start with your upgrades to the new version of the software.

Mark