This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM 11.5 to 12.0 upgrade issues

Hi All,

Our Orion environment has quite a few Solarwinds components like NPM, IPAM, NTA, APE, FOE, Engineers Toolset, WHD, LEM. We upgraded the environment to the newest 12.0 NPM.

A few issues that we are facing -

1. Map Loading takes quite a long time

2. Web Console timeout issues

3. Adding Nodes intermittently fails

4. In general, slow performance

5. Event and Alerts are now visible to all users that used to be only visible to group assigned users (WAN users saw only WAN events & alerts, LAN users saw only LAN events & alerts based on the node grouping)

We have a few support tickets opened with Solarwinds Support teams and have shared the logs.

We may have to take a call of moving back to 11.5, in case these issues persist. Reaching out to the community for help.

gangadhar.k

chinmaychavan

csameer

• I would start by running permissions checker as administrator and fixing any issues there.

shutdown website and services.

rename the c:\inetpub\solarwinds to .old

remove the website and app pool from IIS

run config wizard - as administrator - again and see if that resolves any of the issues.

• We had somewhat of the same issues you are reporting, after upgrading to NPM 12.  The CPU utilization on our Orion server was pegged at 100% constantly after the upgrade.  Our server is running 2008 R2 SP1 64 bit, 16 gig RAM, 4 CPU and it's a VM.  After the upgrade, I stopped all the related Orion/SolarWinds services using Orion Service Manager, and started them again.  When the services came backup, CPU still at 100%.  I stopped all the services again, rebooted the server.  Started all services and things started to normalize.  I ended up stopping/starting the services 3 or 4 times, and rebooted the server 3 or 4 times, and everything has worked great, since the reboots.  CPU is now averaging about 30%, and the web console, and related websites all run very smooth and quickly.

I'm not sure if you've tried stopping/starting services and rebooting, but it worked for our deployment.

• I'd like to look into this some more from our side.  Could you PM me your case # or SWID?  I can't seem to find your case.

• is FoE effect or creates problem when upgrade from 11.5. to NPM12.

• Good point.  How would FoE even work with NPM 12 since it has its own failover feature built in?  Especially since this failover feature seems to work quite similarly to FoE.  I admittedly know virtually nothing about the new NPM 12 failover feature, so maybe there is no way this could be causing an issue, but it is an interesting question I think. 

Another interesting question would be: Is there an advantage that FoE has over the built-in Orion failover engine in NPM 12? Obviously FoE having the ability to control non-SolarWinds services and applications would be one major advantage, but what Orion specific problems can FoE solve that the new built-in failover engine can't?

• and one more thing with npm 12, if you have failover engine, it is not supported by NPM 12, the supported version has not launched yet, so all those who have failover engine license, do not upgrade to NPM 12. 2 days ago I went to perform upgradation and we opened up a ticket with TAC Engineer and we discussed with him if failover would be affected by upgrade then he told that it is not supported with NPM 12.

• so we have to wait to upgrade to NPM 12 and NTA 4.2 untill new version of FailoverEngine is launched.

• Hmm. cobrien​ is there a stated timeline for new version of FOE? That's a pretty big deal.

• fazl-e-azeem​, I'm afraid you were given a bit of misinformation. NPM 12 is fully supported in environments running Failover Engine (FoE). There was a misprint in some of our upgrade documentation which stated otherwise, but that has since been corrected. I can only assume this was the source of support's confusion. We have a fair number of FoE customers who have successfully upgraded to NPM 12 without issue. The process for upgrading to NPM 12 with FoE is really no different than it has been in previous versions.