cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 17

NPM 11.5 RC2 Now Available

With NPM 11.0 just barely in our rear-view mirror, it is our great pleasure to announce NPM 11.5 has reached RC2 status. NPM 11.5 RC2 delivers on a ton of feature requests driven by the Thwack community, in addition to...

WEB BASED ALERTING!

One look at the new "Manage Alerts" grid tells you this isn't just a port of the old Advanced Alert Manager to the web:

Manage_alerts.png

We could spend an entire post on the goodness of the new Alerting Engine- so in fact we did. If you would like to dive deeper into some of the new functionality, check out this: What We're Working On: New Alerting Engine

Wireless Heatmaps - with client location tracking

Overall.png

NPM can now display where your wireless clients are on your heatmaps.  When client location is enabled, NPM periodically polls the wireless infrastructure for client signal information.  NPM then uses triangulation and other techniques to determine where that client is on your floor plan and displays it right in your NPM web console.  As time goes by, NPM periodically polls your wireless infrastructure, recalculates location, and updates the client locations on your maps.

WIRELESS VENDOR SUPPORT

Speaking of wireless, 11.5 RC also includes pollers for Aerohive, Aruba Instant AP, and Juniper/Trapeze. Check out the Manage Pollers page to apply them.

Capacity Planning / Forecasting

5-15-2014 6-11-11 PM.png

NPM can now report and proactively alert on the number of days before a problem occurs. This applies to CPU / Memory / Volume / Interface

AUTOMATIC GEOLOCATION ON WORLDWIDE MAPS

Based on SNMP Location field, the Worldwide Maps resource will automatically place and aggregate nodes. We included new "zoom-level" aggregation logic as well.

6-10-2014 5-15-15 PM.png

Independent Hardware Sensor Management

5-12-2014 7-17-05 PM.png

Hardware sensors can be independently managed, thresholds set, or forced up. Cisco hardware MIBs are now selectable on a per-device basis

QoE Application Discovery

QoE now automatically discovers applications on defined sensors. This streamlines deployment and setup process greatly.

Availability

NPM 11.5 RC2 is available for customers under active maintenance via their Customer Portal

We'd love to hear you feedback on the new features- please let us know what you think below!

41 Replies
Highlighted
Level 14

Re: NPM 11.5 RC2 Now Available

Rob,

Bummer and disappointed!  We can't use the automatic geolocation on worldwide maps feature since it is driven off the device SNMP Location field.  This feature is unusable for us because we do not populate each and every device with the usable location info to generate long/lat coordinates.  We've defined a custom property SiteLocation which has the specific site address.   So we would much rather prefer to see this feature be expanded to provide the flexibility to designate a custom property..

Any chance Node property variable support for filtering is provided in this release for Worldwide Map resource (https://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/4880)?

Highlighted
Level 11

Hi rgward

It's possible to use the SDK to set the map location directly on a given node, we use this to place nodes on a map based on information we hold in our CMDB. The perl to do carry this out is really easy:

sub set_worldmap_location {

my ( $self, $node_id, $lat, $long ) = @_;

my $data = $self->{_swis}->Update($self->{_swis_url} . "/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=$node_id/WorldMap.Point", {Latitude => $lat, Longitude => $long} );

return $data;

};

Should not be a hard to read in your current custom property and translate into this way of doing things.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Hi Rob

It's sure look great !!

Comment about  bug fixing in 11.5 or  that will make legal people running to your desk?

/SJA

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Certainly we've included additional bug fixes in RC. Were we looking for a specific issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

World Map

So I have some servers showing up in Lebanon ( middle east ) cause in the SNMP location it says VDC LEB on some servers which really is leb ohio - and we tend to use templates so SNMP location tends not be 100 correct all the time

Can we turn this feature off so we can use a custom property like city , state or actual GPS cords 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Surely, the setting to disable is under Settings->Web Console settings

In case you already have Lat/Long in Custom Properties and would like to import them into world map you can

1)      Export lat/long Custom properties to file

2)      Import them into the World Map lat/long properties (marked as Latitude(World Map) and Longitude(World Map))

As well user now may use Custom Property Inline Editor to place nodes into map – there additional Latitude(World Map) and Longitude(World Map) where you can copy/paste /multiedit etc.

image001 (2).jpg

image002 (2).jpg

Level 12

Thanks Rob ... loving the new release and have a ticket open for a few issues I have found .. but love the direction its moving in

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Rob,

I have tried to create the custom properties as described Latitude(World Map) including the parentheses, but these get converted to underscores when added to Orion Latitude_World Map_

If you can let me know if I should be doing something specific to get this working.

thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Apologies - I misspoke- for RTM we actually include those CP's out of the box. Just need to add those columns to edit grid:

4-6-2015 12-24-16 PM.png

0 Kudos