cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 17

NPM 11.5 RC2 Now Available

With NPM 11.0 just barely in our rear-view mirror, it is our great pleasure to announce NPM 11.5 has reached RC2 status. NPM 11.5 RC2 delivers on a ton of feature requests driven by the Thwack community, in addition to...

WEB BASED ALERTING!

One look at the new "Manage Alerts" grid tells you this isn't just a port of the old Advanced Alert Manager to the web:

Manage_alerts.png

We could spend an entire post on the goodness of the new Alerting Engine- so in fact we did. If you would like to dive deeper into some of the new functionality, check out this: What We're Working On: New Alerting Engine

Wireless Heatmaps - with client location tracking

Overall.png

NPM can now display where your wireless clients are on your heatmaps.  When client location is enabled, NPM periodically polls the wireless infrastructure for client signal information.  NPM then uses triangulation and other techniques to determine where that client is on your floor plan and displays it right in your NPM web console.  As time goes by, NPM periodically polls your wireless infrastructure, recalculates location, and updates the client locations on your maps.

WIRELESS VENDOR SUPPORT

Speaking of wireless, 11.5 RC also includes pollers for Aerohive, Aruba Instant AP, and Juniper/Trapeze. Check out the Manage Pollers page to apply them.

Capacity Planning / Forecasting

5-15-2014 6-11-11 PM.png

NPM can now report and proactively alert on the number of days before a problem occurs. This applies to CPU / Memory / Volume / Interface

AUTOMATIC GEOLOCATION ON WORLDWIDE MAPS

Based on SNMP Location field, the Worldwide Maps resource will automatically place and aggregate nodes. We included new "zoom-level" aggregation logic as well.

6-10-2014 5-15-15 PM.png

Independent Hardware Sensor Management

5-12-2014 7-17-05 PM.png

Hardware sensors can be independently managed, thresholds set, or forced up. Cisco hardware MIBs are now selectable on a per-device basis

QoE Application Discovery

QoE now automatically discovers applications on defined sensors. This streamlines deployment and setup process greatly.

Availability

NPM 11.5 RC2 is available for customers under active maintenance via their Customer Portal

We'd love to hear you feedback on the new features- please let us know what you think below!

41 Replies

Yes, address transforms would be a FR. When we were to implement geolocation via CP, this may be a workaround.

0 Kudos

Does anyone have any idea how you can use the Volume Capacity Forecast report content for more than one node or how the data is calculated for use in a custom table? We'd like to report on all nodes of a service and the predicted capacity so a table like the below.

Node     |     Volume     |     >60%     |     >80%     |     >100%

Node1     |     C:\     |     > 1 year     |     > 1 year     |     > 1 year

Node1     |     D:\     |     now    |    5 months    |     > 1 year

Node1     |     E:\     |     3 months     |     7 months     |     > 1 year

Node2     |     C:\     |     > 1 year     |     > 1 year     |     > 1 year

Node2     |     D:\     |     > 1 year     |     > 1 year     |     > 1 year

Node2     |     E:\     |     2 months     |     > 1 year     |     > 1 year

Been looking at the VolumeUsage_ForecastCoefficients table to see if I can utilise the data there but the numbers are 1 higher than those shown on the node page. i.e. I have a server which predicts > 60% in 7 months for C:\ but this query states 8 months. Does a month get removed by default or am I just way off on my calcs?

SELECT Nodes.Caption, Volumes.Caption, datediff(m,getdate(),dateadd(d,((60-PercentDiskUsedAavg)/PercentDiskUsedBavg),getdate())) as '> 60%'

FROM [dbo].[VolumeUsage_ForecastCoefficients]

INNER JOIN Volumes ON [VolumeUsage_ForecastCoefficients].VolumeID = Volumes.VolumeID

INNER JOIN Nodes ON [VolumeUsage_ForecastCoefficients].NodeID= Nodes.NodeID

WHERE [VolumeUsage_ForecastCoefficients].nodeid = 3483

AND VolumeTypeID in (2,4)

ORDER BY VolumeTypeID, VolumeDescription

0 Kudos

We take into account the time when the Capacity Forecast was calculated

e.g.

ndays = DATEDIFF(day, <datetime when the Capacity Forecast was calculated>, CurrentDateTime)

DaysToRichThreshold = Floor((Capacitythreshold - Aavg) / Bavg - ndays)

The only one day difference in both calculations means you can get different number of months,

e.g. 215 days = 7 months

216 days = 8 months

0 Kudos
Level 12

Rob,

Hey, is there any chance you've got an update on applying the 11.5 RC2 to Orion deployments with WPM installed?

-Jason Henson

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

0 Kudos

Unfortunately we can't provide precise date, but WPM RC is on the immediate horizon.

0 Kudos

Can you confirm that the only consequence to upgrading would be that our alerts would not work until the fix comes out or is there potential for corruption if we leave WPM installed and still apply the upgrade? 

If the WPM installed was not of immediate importance but we left the tables in the database and did the upgrade, would we see any long term consequences?

Thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos
Level 16

Can we turn off all wireless client tracking and heat map generation?

I am concerned about the volume of data -- a SNMPwalk of one our smaller controllers takes well over half an hour to complete if you're pulling client data; during that time 80% of our users (students) [around 150,000 clients]  will have moved...

Certainly sir.  Both the wireless heat map and client location feature each have their own poller that can be enabled or disabled as you like.

Level 16

Hi Rob

It's sure look great !!

Comment about  bug fixing in 11.5 or  that will make legal people running to your desk?

/SJA

0 Kudos

Certainly we've included additional bug fixes in RC. Were we looking for a specific issue?

0 Kudos

Sure

l3/2 topology issues with /without  "weather maps"

Juniper and Ciscos

That was introduced 10.7

Still no fix in 11.1

Re: How to turn off topology monitoring

0 Kudos

World Map

So I have some servers showing up in Lebanon ( middle east ) cause in the SNMP location it says VDC LEB on some servers which really is leb ohio - and we tend to use templates so SNMP location tends not be 100 correct all the time

Can we turn this feature off so we can use a custom property like city , state or actual GPS cords 

0 Kudos

Surely, the setting to disable is under Settings->Web Console settings

In case you already have Lat/Long in Custom Properties and would like to import them into world map you can

1)      Export lat/long Custom properties to file

2)      Import them into the World Map lat/long properties (marked as Latitude(World Map) and Longitude(World Map))

As well user now may use Custom Property Inline Editor to place nodes into map – there additional Latitude(World Map) and Longitude(World Map) where you can copy/paste /multiedit etc.

image001 (2).jpg

image002 (2).jpg

Hi,

I would really appreciate a response to this, as I would like to get this custom property method working.

0 Kudos

‌rob- is the worldmap lat/long available for groups as well?

0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

I have tried to create the custom properties as described Latitude(World Map) including the parentheses, but these get converted to underscores when added to Orion Latitude_World Map_

If you can let me know if I should be doing something specific to get this working.

thanks

Mark

0 Kudos

Apologies - I misspoke- for RTM we actually include those CP's out of the box. Just need to add those columns to edit grid:

4-6-2015 12-24-16 PM.png

0 Kudos

Thanks Rob ... loving the new release and have a ticket open for a few issues I have found .. but love the direction its moving in

0 Kudos
Level 14

Rob,

Bummer and disappointed!  We can't use the automatic geolocation on worldwide maps feature since it is driven off the device SNMP Location field.  This feature is unusable for us because we do not populate each and every device with the usable location info to generate long/lat coordinates.  We've defined a custom property SiteLocation which has the specific site address.   So we would much rather prefer to see this feature be expanded to provide the flexibility to designate a custom property..

Any chance Node property variable support for filtering is provided in this release for Worldwide Map resource (https://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/4880)?

Hi rgward

It's possible to use the SDK to set the map location directly on a given node, we use this to place nodes on a map based on information we hold in our CMDB. The perl to do carry this out is really easy:

sub set_worldmap_location {

my ( $self, $node_id, $lat, $long ) = @_;

my $data = $self->{_swis}->Update($self->{_swis_url} . "/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=$node_id/WorldMap.Point", {Latitude => $lat, Longitude => $long} );

return $data;

};

Should not be a hard to read in your current custom property and translate into this way of doing things.

0 Kudos