cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 14

NPM 11.5 Network Atlas is Dead

I can't make a new map. Not sure what to tell my boss on this latest feature.

network atals crash.jpg

36 Replies

Existing maps are fine, and the crashing doesn't break them. It's just that the crash creates a duplicate - often the crash is when you are saving data.

Actually I already encountered the network atlas crashing issue on NPM 11.0 whenever I used the NPM server. So in order to modify or create a new map, I'm using the workstation instead since the Network Atlas can be used and install there.

I'm able to get in now without the crash on a different host. I have very extensive maps on 60 inch screens in 4 continents across the world so this is very high profile for us - when its down EVERYONE KNOWS.

So far, all is OK. I have added QOE summary stats to my dashboards and they are very nice.

SolarWinds support is awesome so far for me.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Similar thing happened to me. After the 11.5 upgrade, and the installation of Atlas 1.13.0.473....any time I make a change to a map and hit the save button, the Atlas application throws an error and completely crashes. 80% of the time, it still updates the map the way I wanted it to, but it creates a duplicate map in the "Maps" tree. If I delete the wrong one, it breaks the hyperlinks in my map....I hope they fix this soon. I use Atlas daily.

Having the same exact problem with my NPM 11.5.  I've had a case opened since I upgraded.  We've tried various things to no avail.  Apparently it's been moved to their "back-end" team.  Hopefully they will find something soon, it's been a pain to update any maps!

0 Kudos

I'm not guaranteeing it will fix it, but have you tried applying to 11.5.0 HotFix 1? 

0 Kudos

Where do we find this hotfix?  Can you provide a link to the hotfix release notes?

I've looked in my customer portal but I do not see any hotfixes for NPM 11.5

I'm not having a problem with NetworkAtlas crashing, but I have had some system instability and hanging/timeouts after the 11.5 upgrade.  Logs indicated that the longest running queries were related to NetworkAtlas.  Removing all map resources from all views seems to have stabilized the system.

0 Kudos

Since NPM 11.5 I get this too. Sometimes Atlas crashes and when it does it creates duplicate maps.

Same here.  So man many bugs in this release..

I just got off the phone with NPM support. They are aware of the problem. Will know more Monday.

0 Kudos

at least they will talk to you.  They haven't even called me back in days now.

Just a reminder (to you and everyone else) that WE (as customers) also have a stake in managing support calls. My experience in 10 years of being a Solarwinds customer has been that I get good support response if:

1. I'm always respectful. Always. It doesn't matter how down my environment is, how much abuse my boss is laying at my feet. Letting the shit roll downhill is a guarentee that your call will get taken care of right now, AND that your name will be remembered (not fondly) in the future. Given that the the same staff who did support are now my colleagues, my behavior THEN would have been difficult to get past NOW. You just don't need to walk through the world like that.

OK, with that small bit of personal advice aside:

2. BEFORE you open the ticket, start a diagnostic on the poller (or affected pollers if there are more than one).
  3. Now open the ticket and fill out all the information as completely as you can.
    you will get a ticket number as an automatic email response
  4. Now go to http://solarwinds.leapfile.com and upload the diagnostic file (or files). The recipient is "support@solarwinds.net" and the subject should include the ticket number.

From here on out, I call support once a day and ask for a status on the ticket. Just once. I know it's hard and I know that you need help asap. My experience is that they staff is honestly working on it, but some answers take time. Calling once a day and getting status (again, being respectful) is your fastest way to get solid, positive attention on your case.

Leon Adato | Head Geek
------
"Measure what is measurable,
and make measurable what is not so." - Gallileo

Leon, I have always been respectful.  I have only sent one email per day asking for status, and/or assistance to check something.  No reply for several days now.  And yes I know how to open a ticket, collect diags and use leapfile.  If you work at SW, feel free to pull up all my support requests.

Having a nonfunctioning system for over 30 days is NOT acceptable as a customer, and the lack of response adds insult to the injury.

0 Kudos

Good to hear, and I wasn't trying to imply that you weren't being respectful.

I would definitely shift from emailing once a day to calling once a day. And you are 100% right, 30 days in the hole is unacceptable.

Leon Adato | Head Geek
------

0 Kudos

It's aways been kludgy. Now it's unusable.

I don't mean to always be a whiner here but I'm not happy paying so much money yearly for half baked beta'esque products.

Level 18

Obviously this is not the normal behavior. I can promise you network atlas is alive and well in 11.5.

Your best bet is to open a ticket with support and let them help you though it.

Leon Adato | Head Geek
------

0 Kudos