This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM 11.5 Alerting from a SAM Application Monitor

My how things have changed in NPM 11.5 in terms of alerting.

I run Orion NPM 11.5.2 and  SAM 6.2.1. I have Windows failover cluster monitoring in place on many clusters. There is a specific event I would like to be alerted on, but I cannot find an "easy" instruction guide on how to create alerts based on SAM/Application monitors.

My Example:

2 node Windows 2008 R2, SQL cluster

Both nodes in NPM for basic monitoring (drive space etc.)

Both nodes in SAM using the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Failover Cluster template

Last night, this cluster lost a drive due to a SAN detach. I can see the entry under Events for these servers.

Cluster storage functionality problems for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Failover Cluster on SQLServer1

Cluster physical disk resource 'DATABASE' cannot be brought online because the associated disk could not be found. The expected signature of the disk was '123456789'. If the disk was replaced or restored, in the Failover Cluster Manager snap-in, you can use the Repair function (in the properties sheet for the disk) to repair the new or restored disk. If the disk will not be replaced, delete the associated disk resource.

I need to know how, in my versions of NPM/SAM, to create an alert so that if this happens again, I know it before my customer does. Perhaps this would be a Windows Event Log alert?!?

Thanks for the help everyone.

- Dave