This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM 10.6 hardware requirement

Hi

i need hardware requirement for NPM 10.6 server

one server will be of NPM 10.6 and other server is of SQL 2012

need perfect hardware specification to hold NPM (Network Elements = 7500 ) and SQL server for smooth running.

• You cannot get perfect hardware specifications as they are generally independent among different environments. There's not really a one-size-fits-all approach, it's more of a general guideline one-size-fits-most scenario.

However, generally speaking this would be a good starting point for you.

Primary Polling Engine (Physical or Virtual)

Quad Core 3.0Ghz or higher (2 of these preferred)

64GB RAM

40GB C:\  (OS)

120+ GB D:\  (Apps)

This might be overkill a bit, but I prefer to spend a little extra up front versus having to do a hardware refresh in a year. Just my opinion.

SQL (You can ignore all of the NTA warnings in this doc as it is now a separate DB)

http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/Orion/docs/OriondbBestPractices.pdf

I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations as well. My experience is that, if you have a fixed budget, spend your money on your SQL hardware and spindles as those are generally the source of a bottleneck.

Also, 7,500 elements is doable, but doesn't leave a lot of room for growth in the future. Just know that you might need an additional polling engine down the line.

• i read on pdf that 32bit only support 4 GB ram .. whats this ?

if i use 12 GB RAM on 32bit operating system which will run SQL 2012 server is this enough for SQL server to have 12 GB RAM ?

• a 32-bit operating system can only support 4GB of RAM; 2^32 = 4GB, even if you stick 12GB of memory in the server the OS will only use 4 of it.

Note, unless the application has been built specially, a 32-bit app running on any windows operating system can only use 2GB of virtual memeory (at which point it crashes)

All of the SWO processes are 32-bit applications not specially built.

• so will i use window server 2008 64 bits than i will get all 12GB RAM used by server  ?