This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM 10.5 Route Monitoring/Route Table Polling

Kudos on the updates to NPM 10.5! I'm especially excited about the route table polling.  I've already tweaked SolarWinds.NPM.Poller.dll.config file to increase the limit above 1000, and I've seen good results. But how often does this polling happen? I assume it uses SNMP, is that correct? I've tried "Poll Now" and "Rediscover" for two routers but neither of those functions seem to manually kick off a route table poll. How can we adjust the frequency of the route table polling, and how can we manually kick it off?

Thanks!

Swack

• Routing table poll interval is driven by the setting NPM_Settings_Routing_RouteTable_PollInterval in the Settings table, by default it is set to 180 minutes.

You are right, it uses SNMP. Be careful however - as routing tables are big setting too short poll interval creates a certain load to the polled device and the device may become unresponsive.

• Is there a way this can be tweaked per router, or just this global setting for now?

• For per node setting, you can use the table NodeSettings. Just add one row for every node with SettingName=NPM.RoutingTablePollInterval. Again, this is in minutes.

• Ok color me confused.  Where are these settings and tables.

• Settings and NodeSettings are tables in database.

To change routing polling interval on all nodes run the query (replace <minutes> with your polling interval. The value can be from the range 1-10080):

UPDATE Settings SET CurrentValue=<minutes> where SettingID='NPM_Settings_Routing_RouteTable_PollInterval'

To change routing polling interval per node (replace <NodeID> with requested NodeID and <minutes> with pooll interval):

1. check the settings:

SELECT * FROM NodeSettings WHERE SettingName='NPM.RoutingTablePollInterval' AND NodeID=<NodeID>

2. - in case the setting does not exist for specific NodeID:

INSERT INTO NodeSettings (NodeID,SettingName,SettingValue) VALUES (<NodeID>,'NPM.RoutingTablePollInterval',<minutes>)

- in case the setting exist for specific NodeID and you want to change poll interval:

UPDATE NodeSettings SET SettingValue=<minutes> WHERE SettingName='NPM.RoutingTablePollInterval' AND NodeID=<NodeID>