This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM 10.5 Custom Report with Multiple Universal Device Pollers?

Hi,

I am trying to create a custom report with the NPM 10.5 report writer for Fan Status on Cisco nodes.

I have the following Universal Device Pollers assigned to my Cisco Nodes: ciscoEnvMonFanState and ciscoEnvMonFanStatusDescr.

It seems that I can create a custom report using either of the pollers, but not both at the same time.

What I am trying to accomplish, is having the Fan Description and the Fan State on the same row of the report.

This is an example of what my custom report currently looks like, with just the ciscoEnvMonFanState OID:

pastedImage_0.png

I want to accomplish the below output using both ciscoEnvMonFanStatusDescr and ciscoEnvMonFanState pollers on the same row of the report, but can't seem to figure out how:

pastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_4.png

Has anybody done this? And is it possible with NPM 10.5?

Thanks!

attachments.zip
  • With the web-based reports in 10.6 it is possible to have multiple custom tables in the same report, which would get you closer to what you are looking for. In 10.5, custom SQL is likely the path forward.

• I am not really experienced in creating custom SQL reports. Is it advisable to upgrade to NPM 10.6? I have not had any issues with 10.5, it has been a good release for us, aside from the fact that I would like to have multiple pollers in the same report.

• 10.6 has some really nice feature enhancements!

That being said, if you just need to get this report ASAP, post your report files here and I would be happy to look at them and try and make you a single report like you are wanting.

C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Reports   is the default directory for your files. Just find the 2 related to your 2 separate reports and then attach them as files here please.

• Ok, I would appreciate you taking a look at it! I have attached my two reports to my original post, one is Fan Status and the other is Fan Description with the ciscoEnvMonFanState and ciscoEnvMonFanStatusDescr pollers respectively.

If you can get both pollers to work in one report, in their own columns, that would be ideal. I appreciate your help. Thank you!

• Cisco_Fan_States.OrionReport

Try that and let me know how it works. emoticons_happy.png

* PLEASE NOTE * I would still recommend an upgrade to NPM 10.6 (10.7 is Beta right now and shouldn't be too much longer), but this should satisfy your request for the interim.

• This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! We will soon be upgrading to NPM 10.6, but this report will work for us in the meantime.

• I might be asking a little too much, but would this work the same for Cisco Nexus 7k devices? I modified the reports you sent me to use the cefcFanTrayOperStatus (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.117.1.4.1.1.1) and entPhysicalDescr (1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.2) pollers. The query works, but there is no data in the report. Wondering if I'm even using the right pollers for the Nexus devices? Thanks!

• I don't have a Nexus to test this against so I can't get a good test in the database.

Try this in the database to see if you're getting any results:

SELECT n.CAPTION

,cp.UNIQUENAME

,cps.STATUS

FROM nodes n

INNER JOIN custompollerassignment cpa

ON n.nodeid = cpa.nodeid

INNER JOIN custompollers cp

ON cpa.custompollerid = cp.custompollerid

INNER JOIN custompollerstatus cps

ON cpa.custompollerassignmentid = cps.custompollerassignmentid

WHERE cp.uniquename IN (

'cefcFanTrayOperStatus'

,'entPhysicalDescr'

)

When you test your UnDPs in the UnDP tool, do you get values back for both of those OIDs? I think your cefcFanTrayOperStatus is valid (according to the Cisco website) but I am not sure about the entPhysicalDescr (thought it should be the same for all devices I think)

• I tried your SQL query and it came back with over 79000 results and we only have 6 Nexus devices, so that's not what I wanted.

When I test the UnDPs with the UnDP tool on the Nexus devices, I get values back for both OIDs.

The entPhysicalDescr OID basically returns descriptions of everything that's on the device (interfaces, fans, power supplies, etc) but all I need is the fan description.

This seems to be working properly when I go to the Device Summary page, the two custom pollers are on the Device Summary page as a table (see below).
    I was hoping to be able to make a custom report, to display on the main summary page of NPM, of fan status all our Nexus nodes vs. having to go to the device summary pages individually to see the status.

Maybe it's not worth the effort to create such a report, but I would think it has to be possible since this table is displayed on the Device Summary page.

Capture.JPG

Thanks.

• With the extent of man-hours to be spent on creating a custom resource like that, I would defer to an upgrade to 10.6 if it were me.

I'm positive this could be done in SQL, but without the data in my DB, I'm not much help on testing and creating it for you.