This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM 10.4.1 Custom Properties Possible Bug or Just Weirdness

Hi Fellow Thwack-ziens!

I am working with a customer who is on the latest NPM 10.4.1.  We are seeing some strangeness in the custom property editor and I wanted to see if others are experiencing the same thing.  We have a need to populate 22 different custom properties for the nodes we will be monitoring.  We are trying to keep these custom properties in order to that when the provisioning folks add devices to Orion, it makes their process more logical and simpler.

In order to ensure the custom properties are in the order we want, I have prepended a number in front of the custom property name.  It looks like this:

01_Acct_No

02_Order_No

03_Customer_Name

Once I hit submit when creating the property, the custom property name gets changed to:

_01_Acct_No
_02_Order_No

_03_Customer_Name

I checked the Nodes table in the DB and it sure does have the leading underscore.  This is not a huge deal, but does detract from the overall cleanliness/origanization of ther environment.  I am assuming it is this way due to some MS SQL limitation not allowing table column names to start with a number.

So, the questions I have are:

1. Is this a bug?  I see the CustomPropertiesMetadata table where I can change the name and it does reflect that in the web console.  Any changes here does break a number of things though so this is not something which I can do in a customer environment.

2. Is there any other method to force the order of the custom properties with something other than the default of aplhabetical ascending?

Thanks

Sohail Bhamani

Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com