This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM 10.2 Traps no longer matching established rules

We upgraded to 10.2 on Friday and all seemed well.  However I got a call to see if we had received traps from some of our APC equipment over the weekend.  Turns out I'm receiving the traps but the Trap Types have changed.  I now see thousands of traps listing as SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7 instead of their native trap type.

This a major issue as several of my rules are no longer being matched.  I turned up one device to send to my laptop as well (engineers toolset) and it is matching properly so I know the issue is with NPM or perhaps the new SW trap reciever.

I'm on hold with support right now trying to open a case. 

• Trap received in engineers toolset.

snmpTrapOID = netBotzV2TempSensorTraps.0.2

Trap received in NPM

snmpTrapOID=SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mdriskell

Upgraded myself this weekend and we're having the same issue. The rules in place discarded messages so we are getting inundated with e-mails now that we weren't getting before the upgrade so I'm very interested in hearing what the fix is!

• I'm speaking with support now...as soon as I have a ticket # and hopefully a fix I will update this thread.

• Ticket #292321

Support asked me to restart services which I cannot do at the moment (nor do I feel necessary).  No immediate answers while on the phone with support.  They have me gathering data.  Here is what I am sending them.

Here are the full trap details from a trap that is currently broken (I intentionally set the alert to trigger if the temp exceeded 60 degrees to force the traps)

Trap from NPM 10.2

netBotzV2TrapErrorID=nbErrorCond_5655A5FB
    netBotzV2TrapErrorType=nbErrorType_toohigh
    netBotzV2TrapErrorTypeLabel=Value Too High
    netBotzV2TrapSensorID=nbHawkEnc_0_TEMP
    netBotzV2TrapSensorLabel=Temperature
    netBotzV2TrapPodID=nbHawkEnc_0
    netBotzV2TrapPodLabel=Sensor Pod
    netBotzV2TrapPortID=
    netBotzV2TrapPortLabel=
    netBotzV2TrapStartTime=1323115920
    netBotzV2TrapNotifyTime=1323118020
    netBotzV2TrapResolveTime=0
    netBotzV2TrapSeverity=critical(3)
    netBotzV2TrapSensorValue=84.4 __F
    netBotzV2TrapSensorValueInt=29
    netBotzV2TrapSensorValueFraction=99999
    sysUpTime=21 days 0 hours 46 minutes 18.59 seconds
    experimental.1057.1.0=172.16.30.19
    snmpTrapEnterprise=NETBOTZV2-MIB:netBotzV2TempSensorTraps

Exact same trap from Engineers Toolset
    sysUpTime = 181717775
    snmpTrapOID = netBotzV2TempSensorTraps.0.2
    netBotzV2TrapErrorID = nbErrorCond_5655A5FB
    netBotzV2TrapErrorType = nbErrorType_toohigh
    netBotzV2TrapErrorTypeLabel = Value Too High
    netBotzV2TrapSensorID = nbHawkEnc_0_TEMP
    netBotzV2TrapSensorLabel = Temperature
    netBotzV2TrapPodID = nbHawkEnc_0
    netBotzV2TrapPodLabel = Sensor Pod
    netBotzV2TrapPortID =
    netBotzV2TrapPortLabel =
    netBotzV2TrapStartTime = 1323115920
    netBotzV2TrapNotifyTime = 1323118020
    netBotzV2TrapResolveTime = 0
    netBotzV2TrapSeverity = critical(3)
    netBotzV2TrapSensorValue = 84.4 __F
    netBotzV2TrapSensorValueInt = 29
    netBotzV2TrapSensorValueFraction = 99999
    experimental.1057.1 = 172.16.30.19

Here is the rule I currently have...as you can see the traps no longer match said rule
    Here is a trap from last week that matched that rule.
    sysUpTime=77 days 22 hours 36 minutes 58.70 seconds 
    snmpTrapOID=PowerNet-MIB:apc.0.5 
    mtrapargsString=UPS: On battery power in response to an input power problem. 
    experimental.1057.1=172.16.39.16
    snmpTrapEnterprise=PowerNet-MIB:apc 

And here is a trap from this weekend (post upgrade) that no longer matches.
    mtrapargsString=UPS: On battery power in response to an input power problem.
    sysUpTime=128 days 22 hours 45 minutes 44.20 seconds
    experimental.1057.1.0=172.22.104.16
    snmpTrapEnterprise=PowerNet-MIB:apc
  • So I looked to see how bad the problem is.  I upgraded on Friday and I have over 22,000 traps classified as this snmpTraps.7 from a myriad of devices, Avaya, APC, Cisco, Netapp, NetBotz, VMware, etc.

Are there other's out there with this same issue?

• Now that you mention it, I do too, I also found that I have a bunch of event from my BES server that are "INTELCORPORATION-MULTI-FLEX-SERVER-MIB:chassis.30.5", but are for blackberry I am used to getting them, but not as from intel; MIB database messed up?

• My BES traps always came in as that Netlogix...I remember the day they turned on the traps I thought it was odd they appeared as Intel.  

If you go to the trap viewer and search by trap type *snmptraps.7* do you get any hits?

• I could test the MIB database theory...I will install the latest database on my laptop for the toolset and see if the data I get changes.

• Updated the MIBs on my toolset and the OID is correct....So shouldn't be a MIB Database issue.

• I don't know if this helps, but here are all my distinct traptypes and OIDs.

SELECT Distinct TrapType, OIDValue
      FROM [Traps]
        inner join TrapVarbinds on TrapVarbinds.TrapID = traps.TrapID
      where OIDName = 'snmpTrapEnterprise'
      order by TrapType, OIDValue

TrapType    OIDValue
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.15.120.20.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.15.120.20.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.15.40.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.15.40.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.15.90.20.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.15.90.20.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.20.30.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.20.30.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.20.90.20.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.20.90.20.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.25.30.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.25.30.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.25.90.20.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.25.90.20.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.30.30.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.30.30.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.35.120.20.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.35.120.20.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.35.30.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.35.30.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.40.110.15.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.40.110.15.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.40.30.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.40.30.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.40.90.20.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.40.90.20.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.55.30.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2:components.55.30.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:besMDStoBESConnectionEvent.0.0.7    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:besMDStoBESConnectionEvent
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:besMDStoBESConnectionEvent.0.0.8    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:besMDStoBESConnectionEvent
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:besMDStoDBConnectionEvent.0.0.13    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:besMDStoDBConnectionEvent
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:blackBerryServerTraps.0.3007    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:blackBerryServerTraps
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:blackBerryServerTraps.0.3008    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:blackBerryServerTraps
    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:blackBerryServerTraps.0.3013    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:blackBerryServerTraps
    CISCO-FLASH-MIB:ciscoFlashDeviceChangeTrap    CISCO-FLASH-MIB:ciscoFlashMIBTrapPrefix
    COMPAQ-ID-REC-MIB:compaq.0.3034    COMPAQ-ID-REC-MIB:compaq
    COMPAQ-ID-REC-MIB:compaq.0.3046    COMPAQ-ID-REC-MIB:compaq
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.0.14    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.0.15    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.0.16    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.0.17    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.0.2    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.0.3    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.0.4    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.0.5    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.0.7    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.0.8    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8.0.15    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8.0.16    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8.0.17    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8.0.2    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8.0.3    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8.0.4    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8.0.5    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8.0.6    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8.0.7    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8
    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8.0.8    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1.8
    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup.0.1001    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup
    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup.0.1013    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup
    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup.0.1304    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup
    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup.0.1306    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup
    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup.0.1352    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup
    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup.0.1354    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup
    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup.0.1403    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup
    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup.0.1404    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup
    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup.0.1554    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup
    END:linkDown    END:linkDown
    END:linkDown    MSFT-MIB:server
    END:linkUp    CPS-TRAP-MIB:avocent.3.1
    END:linkUp    END:linkUp
    END:linkUp    MSFT-MIB:dc
    END:linkUp    MSFT-MIB:server
    END:linkUp    MSFT-MIB:workstation
    INTEL-LAN-ADAPTERS-MIB:physicalAdaptersTraps.3.0.3    INTEL-LAN-ADAPTERS-MIB:physicalAdaptersTraps.3
    INTELCORPORATION-MULTI-FLEX-SERVER-MIB:chassis.110.15.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    INTELCORPORATION-MULTI-FLEX-SERVER-MIB:chassis.110.15.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    INTELCORPORATION-MULTI-FLEX-SERVER-MIB:chassis.30.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    INTELCORPORATION-MULTI-FLEX-SERVER-MIB:chassis.30.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    INTELCORPORATION-MULTI-FLEX-SERVER-MIB:chassis.30.5    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    INTELCORPORATION-MULTI-FLEX-SERVER-MIB:chassis.40.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    INTELCORPORATION-MULTI-FLEX-SERVER-MIB:chassis.90.20.2    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    INTELCORPORATION-MULTI-FLEX-SERVER-MIB:chassis.90.20.3    BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:rim
    LIEBERT-GP-AGENT-MIB:lgpAgentEventNotifications.0.5    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpAgentNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-AGENT-MIB:lgpAgentEventNotifications.0.7    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpAgentNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-NOTIFICATIONS-MIB:lgpEventConditionEntryAdded    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-NOTIFICATIONS-MIB:lgpEventConditionEntryRemoved    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-NOTIFICATIONS-MIB:lgpEventNotifications.0.1    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-NOTIFICATIONS-MIB:lgpEventNotifications.0.16    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-NOTIFICATIONS-MIB:lgpEventNotifications.0.18    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-NOTIFICATIONS-MIB:lgpEventNotifications.0.19    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-NOTIFICATIONS-MIB:lgpEventNotifications.0.2    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-NOTIFICATIONS-MIB:lgpEventNotifications.0.20    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-NOTIFICATIONS-MIB:lgpEventNotifications.0.21    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-NOTIFICATIONS-MIB:lgpEventNotifications.0.22    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-NOTIFICATIONS-MIB:lgpEventNotifications.0.23    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-NOTIFICATIONS-MIB:lgpEventNotifications.0.24    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-SYSTEM-MIB:lgpSysEventNotifications.0.1    LIEBERT-GP-SYSTEM-MIB:lgpSysEventNotifications
    LIEBERT-GP-SYSTEM-MIB:lgpSysEventNotifications.0.2    LIEBERT-GP-SYSTEM-MIB:lgpSysEventNotifications
    SNMPv2-MIB:authenticationFailure    MSFT-MIB:dc
    SNMPv2-MIB:coldStart    MSFT-MIB:dc
    SNMPv2-MIB:coldStart    MSFT-MIB:server
    SNMPv2-MIB:coldStart    MSFT-MIB:workstation
    SNMPv2-MIB:coldStart    VMWARE-PRODUCTS-MIB:vmwVC
    SNMPv2-MIB:egpNeighborLoss    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpMIBObjects
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    Backup-Exec-MIB:backupExecNTGeneral
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:besMDStoBESConnectionEvent
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:besMDStoDBConnectionEvent
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    BLACKBERRYSERVERMIB-SMIV2_Compat:blackBerryServerTraps
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    CISCO-FLASH-MIB:ciscoFlashMIBTrapPrefix
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    CLARIION1-MIB:dataGeneral
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    COMPAQ-ID-REC-MIB:compaq
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    COMPELLENT-MIB:compellentTrapsNotif
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    DCS3FRU-MIB:baseboardGroup
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    KVMS3-TRAP-MIB:fscKvmS3LocalPortViewingStoppedTrap
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    KVMS3-TRAP-MIB:fscKvmS3Products
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpAgentNotifications
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    LIEBERT-GP-REGISTRATION-MIB:lgpNotifications
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    LIEBERT-GP-SYSTEM-MIB:lgpSysEventNotifications
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    TapeAlert-MIB:tapeAlert
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    UPS-MIB:upsTraps
    SNMPv2-MIB:snmpTraps.7    VMWARE-PRODUCTS-MIB:vmwVC
    SNMPv2-SMI:enterprises.1981.0.4    SNMPv2-SMI:enterprises.1981
    SNMPv2-SMI:enterprises.1981.0.5    SNMPv2-SMI:enterprises.1981
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.1151    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.1153    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.1201    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.1202    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.1203    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.1304    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.1306    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.751    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.753    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.754    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.851    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.854    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.901    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.902    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.903    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent.0.904    StorageManagement-MIB:storageManagementEvent
    UPS-MIB:upsTraps.0.1    UPS-MIB:upsTraps
    UPS-MIB:upsTraps.0.3    UPS-MIB:upsTraps
    UPS-MIB:upsTraps.0.4    UPS-MIB:upsTraps
    VMWARE-VC-EVENT-MIB:vpxdAlarmInfo    VMWARE-PRODUCTS-MIB:vmwVC