This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NBAR

Is there any news on supporting this feature natively in Orion at all ? As it stands now I don`t see push for this but Im people would use it if it was available.

Cheers

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

We've certainly considered it, but the key phrase in your question is this: "As it stands now I don`t see push for this but Im people would use it if it was available."   I've asked customers, but the response has been lukewarm at best.  You're implying that if we build it, they will come.  With our limited resources, we tend to focus on those features that people are actually pushing for.  When I start getting requests for NBAR, the priority of this feature will go up. 

•  I would like to use NBAR natively in Orion too! .. I've been working with custom mibs but  it's very time-consuming =/   pls plss!! .. Also, if possible, be able to with with "Policy Maps" or QoS.. natively.. too.   I've seen many requests of this last issue..

Thanks!. I'm very happy with Orion software, it's really great!

By the way, another topic:  Why the Database is not really "Relational" ??.. I mean, your have Keys on each Table, but there are no Links between those Keys, each Table is independent (I think it is only linked by code in your software, right?) ... If I want to make a SQL query outside solarwinds (SQL Manager, for example, Im not able to do it.. )

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to KevinMcKloud

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for about the database and just how "relational" it is or isn't.  You ask "why", but the answer to such questions are typically buried in the history of the product and decisions that were made during development long ago.  On the other hand, what problem would you like to solve?  Maybe we can help.

•  Hola!, My question about "why" is because For example, in "Nodes" Table, there is this field 'Vendor' where the values are not Keys (There is not another table named "Vendor" with a Key linked to Nodes).. So, a Lot of Data is repeated..   =(    

And the result is that if I want to make a SQL query between databases using 'join' statements, for example, It is not possible because the tables are not linked.

<-- One problem for this is that if I use the variable ${SQL:{query}} I can not query multiple tables at the same time with join's or other sql statement, but just one hugh table.  Are the plans to fix this ?  .. Also, I think the databases would be smaller and faster with this.

------

Hey!, another question.. are you now considering adding NBAR natively on Orion? (I know we can monitor it using  'Universal Device Poller', which is an awsome new tool =) thanks.

------

and my last question:  Could you consider adding a support for SLA stuff? (not voip sla's which is already available! in that module), but I mean the following exactly: To 'tell' Orion poller: Make a ping FROM this Soude cisco node to THIS Destination node, obviously, it would be done through snmp oid's sending the command + ip.source + ip.destionation .. and obvously you would have to have a snmp-write permission in the "source node" to do this ping.   This way we can meassure LAN pings, and not just a "long" WAN ping from the Poller server (thinking in pinging for example switches in another network far from the poller server).

Thank you in advance!, by the way: These Orion Products are great!.. I already purchased an unlimited licence and I would not change it for any other product in the market!!

• Add me to the list of NBAR requesters!

With IPSLA built into the VoIP monitor, someone writing the basic CBWFQ custom perf mon, all we need is NBAR bitrate per protocol and I would almost have enough to move off a Cacti implementation..... 

Cheers

Boots 

• To all,

I have just talked with SW tech support and they state that NBar and CBQos is available thru NTA v3sp4.  Is this correct?

It looks like with all the entries on the topic that NTA does not support these two options.  And if they do, it would take a lot of configuration manipulation to get them to work properly.  Is this correct?

Our company is looking to upgrade an outdated Netflow Application by Crannog software for our network.  They were bought out by Fluke a few years ago and now the pricing is out of control.

Another application, Netflow Analyzer by ManagEngine is looking like a good option and it also supports NBar and CBQoS (Class Based QoS).

Your thoughts on any of the topics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to david1970
    I have just talked with SW tech support and they state that NBar and CBQos is available thru NTA v3sp4.  Is this correct?

I think there's been a mis-communication.  NTA does not support NBAR or CBqos yet.  

• Are there any plans in the works monitoring NBar and CBQoS?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to bschurr

CBQoS is high no our list of features.  NBAR less so, primarily because we get far fewer requests.

• Guys,

Whilst NPM is a good product, it would be great if it supported indexed SNMP queries so we customers can write their own support.

Building NBAR support should be easy as its all queries with no writes, and would significantly increase the usability of the app for any Cisco router users. This would compliment your Netflow analyser product where the default device page shows interface and high level protocol stats per interface via NBAR, and then use Netflow for the hard core analysis. I know from experience it doesnt add any overheads, so build it in and add some more value to the app!!

Cheers

Boots