cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 14

My database has grown ENORMOUS!!!!

For some unknown reason my SQL 2005 NetPerfMon database has grown to a WHOPPING 163Gb the past 2 days. Needless to say it is killing me as I can't get backups of it, etc. and other issues with a bloated database.

I spent all day yesterday trying to find ways to shrink the database by prunning data, etc. I was running a query last night to delete all old syslog data but since my SQL server is so large it is taking forever to respond to any new queries. Yesterday the table size query told me that the largest tables were syslog and netflowsummary3 (I think).

If I run the compact command from Orion's database manager I eventually get a SQL error and then the database goes into recovery mode.

I am restarting the SQL service and will see what is what but need some assitance here.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Level 10

We had a similar issue with the syslogs inflating the database. We finally re-evaluated what we "truly" needed syslogs from and then ported syslogs to thier own dedicated server so that it did not inflate NetPerfMon anymore.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Ditto here..... I need help before it takes over! It doubled in size from 32 to 64 GB.

Yes we use McAfee, no I can't just uninstall it without a reason or expected fix time.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

You don't have to uninstall, but are you able to exclude the SolarWinds files from the scan engine?  You can just remove the Orion directories from the scan.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I had the same issue - turns out it was McAfee.  Do you have McAfee running?  Try removing it and see if this helps.

Dean

0 Kudos
Level 14

Yes I have McAfee installed on the server however I need more details as to what is causing this as they won't just uninstall it w/o a valid reason. Any insight?

0 Kudos