cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

My Solarwind NPM cannot recognize CheckPoint Hardware Appliance

Hi Forum,

I has added one node, Check Point Appliance. But the Solarwind did not recognize its Vendor and Vendor Icon. It show some kind of default: net-snmp Linux

What I have to do now to make the correct CheckPoint vendor?

21 Replies
Level 10

Has this been answered? I still see "net-snmp-Linux" as Machine Type for the Checkpoint Firewalls.

0 Kudos

did u make any specific allowances for the firewall to allow snmp to the NPM server IP address?

0 Kudos

In the policy you allow SNMP and PING but nothing special,  in the SNMP config use the physical address for the location and it will map it correctly on the Global Map.

I created my own Custom Poller (Attached) and it is getting the correct Firewall info:

CP-CustomPoller.PNG

0 Kudos
Level 7

As of R77.20 on GAIA, Orion recognizes Check Point devices as device type: "Check Point Software Technologies Ltd".  They are no longer the generic net-snmp device type.

This may be the case on R77 or R77.10 versions or on R77.xx SPLAT but I do not have them in my environment so I cannot speak to them personally.

0 Kudos

Is this issue solved in the meanwhile?

0 Kudos

I have 2 Check Point firewalls monitored in NPM now

I can get NPM data (e.g. Avg Bps in/out, Total bytes transmitted\received, MAC Address, Uptime) but not NTA data (Top conversations, protocols, applications, Type of service etc)

I suspect that this is due to a netflow config issue

0 Kudos

Probably that is a configuration issue, because that part is working like a charm.

Don't forget that on the firewall itself UDP2055 is allowed to the NTA server

0 Kudos
Level 12

This is a good thread.

I am planning to upgrade my Checkpoint environment soon and would like to include the new instance in my SolarWinds NPM 10.6 management.

networkingkool did you get this resolved?

0 Kudos
Level 10

Yesterday, I has updated my NPM to version 10.6. But Solarwind still not recognize my CHECKPOINT. Maybe I have to open a support case.

0 Kudos

I have the same case with my fortigate 50B. the solarwinds just recognize it as an unknown device. anyway my npm version is 10.6.

0 Kudos

I'm starting to become a stuck record on this. In order to get an unknown device recognized by Solarwinds NPM you must do exactly these things:

a) post your sysObjectID, MachineType, and vendor to 'Tell us your unknown devices'

b) phone up solarwinds support and tell them you need support for your device in the next release

c) Hope that someone reads your post, or gets yours support case and compiles it into the next release of the code

you might also vote up my idea for this to be configurable by the Solarwinds Admin

note: it is pointless to download a MIB: that will not set MachineType, Vendor, or the icons. All downloading the MIB does is make it available for the UnDP.

Opening a support case is the way I do not want to do with just small trouble, however it seem to be the fastest way in this case.

I already posted in "Tell Us unknown devices" and hoped that the 10.6 version will update my device, but not.

Anyway Solarwinds are working to meet our requirement.

0 Kudos
Level 15

There is a blog post explaining how to proceed here

I has posted my sysOID in "Tell you unknown device" last 6 days, and how to make sure my OID already have in solarwind build-in systemOID in next upgrade MIB database?

0 Kudos

As explained in the post you need to go to your customer portal, download the new version of the MIBs.zip, and check that your OID has been added with the Universal Device Poller.

0 Kudos

Until now, after 3 times update MIB database, My Solarwind cannot recognize correctly my checkpoint Firewall. What I need to do next?

0 Kudos

This has nothing to do with MIB database. Orion’s sysObjectID database is used to recognize the SysObjectID and the device information. SysObjectID database is a part of NPM so added sysObjectIDs are available with next NPM version.

0 Kudos

There is an Orion build-in SysObjectID in MIB database. It has been updated in each Solarwind MIB.cfg version. Last 30 days, I has posted my unknown device, but until now no update.

0 Kudos

There are 2 separate mechanisms:

- SysObjId are updated with all posting made on thwack here and are delivered as part of each new version of NPM. There is no way to get an update of this before the next release of NPM

- MIBs are updates based on cases opened and you can get updated versions of the MIB via the customer portal

There is a blog post explaining how to proceed here

0 Kudos

My idea is out there to be voted on.

This should be configurable by the systems administrator -- we should be able to update a table of sysObjectIds and specify the vendor, Machinetype, and vendorIcon at least.