This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Mutliple email alerts - but the same interface at the exact same time

I'm very new to Solarwinds - just finished adding appropriate devices etc and structuring them in NPM. I've noticed we sometimes get a set of emails that appear to be exactly the same event at exactly the same time - e.g.

1/12/2009 11.34 IPT-Main1 – RMON port 11 on unit 3  RMON  port 11 on unit 3 Down

1/12/2009 11.34 IPT-Main1 – RMON port 11 on unit 3  RMON  port 11 on unit 3 Down

Each of these are sent as individual emails (e.g. three separate emails). I've attached an image of 5 emails that are exactly the same.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening, and how this can be streamlined?

Thanks

Duncan, East Lothian Council, Scotland

• There could be a few ways to approach this. Can you share the alert that is triggering this? Is it possible you have redundant alertS?

• I've had a look around and can see something that doesn't look quite right (as I say, I'm a real novice at this). The alerts were actually set up as part of a very quick 1 day training session so very rusty..... anyway:

I've gone onto the server, into System Manager and found the alerts in a ‘Node Tree’. In this tree I have noticed that the switch - called "IPT_Main1" - has SIX entries! Five of these are exactly the same, showing a tree node called 'Network Latency', then the interface entries; the sixth only shows the tree node 'Network Latency'?!

Hopefully the screenshots in the pdf below explains it better. So - am I getting the 5 identical emails as there are five identical alerts set up? And would I simply delete these? Many thanks for your help.

Duncan

• It looks like you added all ports during discovery. Most of them are management and console ports. Can you just unmanage those?

• Would I simply do this on the NPM front end, web interface? Should I still delete some of the nodes from the NMP Service Manager software on the host server, so 5 emails don't come in each time?

• If they are truely duplicates then yes.

• I think we've found a reason for the duplicates.... These switches are in a stack, but each switch in that stack has historically been given an individual IP address for management purposes.

This has meant that the 'main' IP has found all the switches in the stack and reports on every interface/port. However, the discovery has also found each other switch in the stack, and has reported each interface/port again.

On our newer stacks of switches, we only give one IP for each stack, so we don't see this on them.

Many thanks for your help with this - a lot less emails coming in!

Duncan