Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: Multiple pollers - one graph

Peter:

Well put and I agree, your contribution to this board is a clear indication that your purpose is to make Orion a better product.  Converstaions like this should be a wake up call to product management to build the core from a good system into a great system.  I would like to suggest a greater interaction with the customer, I for one have been contacted twice buy SW to give input to future developments, but it seemed it was more about what they wanted to show me then see what I needed.  Anyway, off the soap box and back to work.

Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

What kinds of systems, servers - platform/OS, network devices - type/transport?

I'm curious about the 10 times the systems with ten times the data and ten times less resources.

I will say that I can wholeheartedly blame the performance of my installation on the database server, it's not adequate and it's replacement is already online, just not ready to cut over to.  I also understand that should be getting better with 10, which can't be deployed until it's properly QA'd, and that unfortunately means poring through everything with a fine toothed comb.

Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

We monitor 6000 elements on 900 nodes using one Orion server (Poller/website/DB) across 16 sites worldwide

HP DL380G5 2-dual quad 3.16 Ghz - 32 GB ram

Database is 25-30 GB most all of it in RAM (check the attachment page life >22 hours hit rate 99.9%)

monitored systems include:

Windows 2000 2003 2008 - Linux Debian Redhat - Cisco Swicthes Routers Firewalls - Citrix Netscaler Load Balencers - Juniper SSL VPN - Tipping point IPSs - APC UPSs PDUs - Detroit Diesel Generators (through APC Netbotz) - APC and DataAire AC units

Cacti/Nagios has about 90 nodes and a guy who spends 25-40% of his time maintaining it, I spend 2-5% of my time on Orion

My advice - put lots of RAM in your DB server.

Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Right now I'm doing about 200 nodes and 5500 elements if I include custom pollers on 3.3GB of RAM on both the database and the poller.  Netflow cannot be turned on :(, but I'm well aware of why.

The new poller and database server both have 12GB, DL360G6 for the poller, and 380G6 for the database.  I spend about 40% of my time on Orion right now, trying to get it to do things it's resistant to doing.

Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Right now I'm doing about 200 nodes and 5500 elements if I include custom pollers on 3.3GB of RAM on both the database and the poller.  Netflow cannot be turned on :(, but I'm well aware of why.

The new poller and database server both have 12GB, DL360G6 for the poller, and 380G6 for the database.  I spend about 40% of my time on Orion right now, trying to get it to do things it's resistant to doing.

Peter

We were using those same system types DL360 (x2 Pollers) and DL380 (database).  We just recently built a VMWare infrastructure utilizing 3 DL360's and visualized my polling engines.  My two polling engines now share a resource pool of 750MHz of CPU and is running great (that includes APM).  We kept the database on the physical system.

I would be interested to hear what types of things you are spending your time with in Orion... however; maybe that is more appropriate for an offline discussion or a different thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

A response like that would be valid if basic core functionality wasn't ignored release after release.  What I'm asking for shouldn't be viewed as feature requests, so much as making basic core functionality inline with standard offerings.  You Product folks need to spend more time looking at the product objectively, and less time giving lip service.

I fully understand the needs of the many philosophy.  I'll go out on a limb and say that probably more than half of us have seen "Star Trek:  The Search for Spock".

The problem I have is that people have been bitching about a serious, obvious, and often seemingly insane set of issues, that keep getting ignored, release after release.

The only conclusion I can safely draw is that Solarwinds as a company, and individually through it's employees, doesn't take the needs of larger scale customers seriously.

People ask for critical features over and over, and SW's Product team responds like Catherine Tate's Lauren character: "Does my face look bovered?"

It's a sick game where we, as customers, thinking that we have spent enough on a broken product suite and it's annual 20% to warrant being heard and responded to, and while SW pretends that's what's going on, empirical evidence would suggest otherwise.  Remember the conference call of over a year ago where you, and the other Product managers sat there and told my boss and I to our faces that while you couldn't be sure, and couldn't make any commitment on exactly when, that it was reasonable to expect by the end of the year we'd have something functional to make the administration overhead less of a burden.  Guess what, nothing but lip service.  It's 6 months past that deadline.

SW as a company simply doesn't have any credibility at all, when it comes to the needs of larger business.  Replacing it is painful and expensive, but potentially worth it to be in business with a company that is actually responsive.  Every other vendor we have doesn't do business like SW.  Cisco, Juniper, Adtran, and others work with us in a genuine fashion to address our business needs.

I too, dislike using a public forum to voice such things, but whether voiced privately or publicly, the truth remains the same.

Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Every other vendor we have doesn't do business like SW.  Cisco, Juniper, Adtran, and others work with us in a genuine fashion to address our business needs.

Peter

I'd love to have your sway with the above-listed companies.  There are some basic features we've been begging for in all those vendors' various equipment and we've been ignored for years.  I've found the complete opposite - unless you are an AT&T or Verizon who needs a very specific feature that no one else on the face of the planet needs, then you are going to get the cold shoulder.

I personally think that SW is much more responsive to their customers than any of those companies, at least in my experience.  It is just frustrating when there are seemingly "simple" features being requested that Orion or NCM doesn't have that free software has and has been doing for years.  I have THREE network monitoring applications running on my network, all of which perform similar functions.  I've been running NPM since version 5, I believe, so that shows you how long I've been waiting to get rid of these other applications.

I count no less than 17 customers asking for this feature to be included in the next version.  One of those is a reseller claiming his customers are asking for it to be included.  I'm not sure how large each of these SW customers' installations are, but I'm sure if you add them all up, it equals a pretty penny in yearly maintenance costs.  As much as you don't want to hear it, I'm sure some of these customers are going to vote with their wallets when it's time to renew maintenance and ask themselves, "What is it that I'm really getting with this 5-figure number for yearly maintenance?"

And, I hate to latch onto this, but a search for 'Meru' on the forums elicits only postings in the Content Exchange from some guy who seemingly works at Meru.  WTF?  I know in the grand scheme of things, this feature is probably a very small part of the resources devoted to the next version, but c'mon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

bleearg and Peter--

Thank you both for your feedback. I'll make sure the PMs see it.

If I could remind both of you that we have a policy against profanity and  both of you have words-of-interest that qualify (yes, even in acronym form). If they had been much stronger, I would have been forced to delete your posts b/c we do not edit posts. 

We welcome the passion of your critiques, but please, let's keep them as clean as possible.

Thanks for your attention to this.

M

0 Kudos
Level 14

If I could remind both of you that we have a policy against profanity and  both of you have words-of-interest that qualify (yes, even in acronym form). If they had been much stronger, I would have been forced to delete your posts b/c we do not edit posts. 

We welcome the passion of your critiques, but please, let's keep them as clean as possible.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement, but okay.  I've seen worse on the forums and never seen a public dressing down of a user.  The things either of us said were nothing you wouldn't hear on daytime or primetime TV.  We are all adults here and it's not like either of these posts were laced with the type of profanity you'd find at an Andrew Dice Clay performance.  Nobody is ready to go all postal on Solarwinds here.  In fact, both of us are touting the great features and functionality of SW products, but merely pointing out some flaws.  I find this to be pointless nitpicking.  No one is getting angry here and we don't need riot control.

In any case, this is de-railing the thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

*drool* 😉

I'm personally most concerned with features like scalable administration, (user/node/custom poller), multiple pollers on a single graph and let's not forget SNMP table correlation.  From a "my time" standpoint the administration issues are foremost, but for business intelligence for both large and small customers the graphing and table handling are paramount.

Peter

I couldn't agree more (especially graphing and table handling) but then again my tone apparently doesn't reflect the broader user base.

0 Kudos