cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 14

Multiple pollers - one graph

I've spoken with Solarwinds staff about this before, but wanted to post it here to try and generate further interest.  I'd like the ability to be able to put more than one poller on a single graph.  This should encompass not only multiple pollers for a single host, but also multiple pollers from multiple hosts (for a summary-type view).  A couple examples of how this would come in handy:

1.  We have several interfaces that connect to our upstream providers.  We currently use Cacti to put all those interfaces' traffic stats into a single graph, with each provider a different color.  See pic for example.  The graph shows both in/out with inbound traffic on the "positive" side and outbound traffic on the "negative" side.

2.  I use Cacti to poll our DNS servers for failed queries vs. successful queries vs. NXDOMAIN responses.  Putting them all into a single graph would not only save real estate on the page, but also make it much easier to see the differences in scale of all pollers.  Same holds true for disk I/O read/writes - it doesn't make sense to have two separate graphs for this.  Some might also want to poll other interface-based stats that aren't already polled by Orion, which have separate OIDs for in/out - another example of unnecessarily needing to create two graphs.

Tags (1)
82 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Multiple pollers - one graph

I'm trying to do several custom polled values for one given device on one graph.  I still haven't figured out how to do this, and this was the best thread that came up searching.  Any word?

Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

No, sorry.  I still use Cacti for a lot of this type of graphing.  Even though it's a pain in the a** to configure, it's much prettier and much more configurable.  Custom polling needs a lot of work, such as the suggestions above, being able to manually set values such as upper limit, lower limit, scale, and units.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

How do you integrate them in Orion, or do you?

Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

I don't currently, but I could do this by using the "External Links" feature or just calling them from a Custom HTML resource.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

I think I have spoken with Solarwinds staff about this too.

Being able to stick multiple items on a graph would be good not only for the UnDP but also for interfaces, nodes, etc.

0 Kudos
Level 19

Duly noted.  It's something we want to do in the future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

I am also very interestd in seeing the "Multiple Pollers" in one graph.  I came from a monitoirng system that used RRD similiar to Cacti and it's a very useful capability to have.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

I will add you to the existing enhancement request

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This is something I would also be interested in seeing - consolidating existing web console and/or custom poller data together would be incredibly useful as currently I also have to employ sicm/rrdtool to combine certain data.

0 Kudos