cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Multiple Additional Web Servers?

Hello Guys,

I would like to ask for your help with Additional Web Server.

I am evaluating a possible scenario with many SolarWinds accounts for one NPM installation.

Do you know if it is actually possible to connect multiple Additional Web Servers to one NPM installation?

The idea would be to have many users spread across few Additional Web Server machines, which would also be in different locations.

Do you know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Marcin.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Level 14

Yes, what you describe is possible.

0 Kudos

We have four additional web servers spread across two continents without issues (we don't have the primary poller in the load balanced pool to keep the load off the server).

What i'm trying find though is if there is a way a non-admin can identify which web server they are using, occasionally we see intermittent issues with users getting timed out, as an admin i can go into the admin section and platform details and see the web server i'm on but i can't go making every user that has issues an admin to check.

If you have multiple servers is there a way a non-admin can identify which web server they are hitting??

0 Kudos

Could you expand on how this is accomplished? Are you spreading load across 4, or do you have 4 different URLs, and depend on the users to log into 4 different urls to spread the load.

0 Kudos

We have two additional web servers that are sitting behind a netscaler, and I have one DNS name that utilizes both servers in a round robin fashion.

0 Kudos

how does that look in the DB under websites? I would think when you go through the config wizard, it could get messy. Do you make bindings the same when you get to that step?

0 Kudos

It looks the same in the DB under websites, with just the FQDN of the host.  I've also had it set to the FQDN of the VIP on my netscaler but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

0 Kudos

Sorry for the late response and you probably already have a solution, but what I've used to  determine which server a user is on was add a image to each web server in the /Orion/Images folder with the same name.  Only issue is when you run the config wizard you will have to put the image back.

Level 7

We have three additional Web servers in our environment.

Could you expand on how this is accomplished? Are you spreading load across 3, or do you have 3 different URLs, and depend on the users to log into 3 different urls to spread the load.

0 Kudos

Hi Marcin,

Don't take this as gospel, but I don't believe you have to remove the web console from the Primary Orion server, which would lead me to believe that there is no restriction to the number of additional web servers you can deploy. Sorry, I can't confirm it 100% as I've never come across that scenario.

- David Smith