This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Multi Node Management

I have recently started a new role within a new company, upon checking their license situation I have noticed that we are monitoring a whole host of interfaces on devices that we don't need - floppy drives, disk drives, virtual memory etc.

As far as I can see I have to go into Settings > Manage Nodes and select each of these interfaces one by one, then select delete. ( I know I can select more than one at a time)

We have 4000+ devices being monitored and this is quite a laborious task, is there not a way to say globally what interfaces we do not want to monitor unless we specify? So you would tick the boxes for the interfaces above and no node would have these monitored by default.

Anyone know  of a way to do this? Or indeed, can this be done?

• Hi smiffy85‌,

If you go to manage nodes, you can click the drop down next to the search bar and select interfaces. If you then sort the list of results by interface name, you'll see all the interfaces of the same type, and can simply select all of these, in one neat row, and nuke 'em!

Alternatively you could run a select query on the interfaces table in the database, tweak it so the results are exactly the interfaces you want to remove, and then change it to a delete query

Either way, BACKUP YOUR DATABASE FIRST!

With regards to adding things to monitoring, it all depends on how you do it. Generally, with sonar discoveries, it'll find everything that is 'up' on a node, and if you select 'import all', you'll get everything. You'll then have to tidy up afterwards. If you view the results before you import, you can add what you don't want to the ignore list, and that way it will be ignored for that node in any future discovery you run (it is good practice to run scheduled discoveries, to make sure you don't miss anything). Sadly, as far as I know, using the standard options there is no way to set global ignores which are then used against all devices emoticons_sad.png

I expect you'll be looking at the SQL query, given the number of devices you are monitoring. Always remember to backup your database first though!

• Hello, calling SQL delete queries aren't very safe as orphaned data may remain in your DB and can make troubles in future. There exists way how to achieve your goal via Orion SDK based scripts.

I described snippet at Re: Manage resources list for multiple nodes in Orion . The filter condition is always up to you. For interfaces do "select uri from orion.npm.interfaces where xxxxxx" for volumes Orion.Volumes, for Nodes Orion.Nodes (this removes also all child subobjects).

I hope it helped.

H.

• silverbacksays‌ I unfortunately don't have that option available within the search bar..

It might be because presently we are not using NPM, this will change next week so I might have to wait until then to run this.

• Thanks Jan,

We are not currently using the SDK , but should the above not work I will take a look at getting the SDK installed.

• Sure... It's quite different way of Orion management, but might be very powerful. Just noting, that you don't need to have the SDK directly on the Orion machine, but this can be random machine, which is able to reach the SolarWinds Information Service v3 through ports 17777 and 17778

• Thanks again, it will be something I look at once I have got to a point within the implementation where I can spend the time on it. The SDK I mean.

• customize a property to identify, direct and remove the dados.atraves a select basis to remove

This is script remove email, but you change for  to resolution you problem.

clikc here

• Having just been on a webinar, the demo kit had the drop down for interfaces, which definitely suggests that I need to hurry up with the NPM installation.  That option will fix it for me.

Thank you.