cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Monitoring and alerting on website problems

Hi,

My organisation has several websites operational on internal systems that are managed by Orion.

My question is around managing these websites - is it possible to monitor and alert on these websites? i.e. to monitor the state of the websites and if one or more go down then to alert the IT team?

I was wondering whether Application monitor could do something here for us but from what I can see it cant - is this right?

I understand Nagios does it (screenscraping is it?) Is there an offering from Solarwinds\orion?

Cheers
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Level 7

I would also like to know if this is possible.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

APM should do that for you.  It will monitor the response time to a webserver by sending an HTML 200 request and response. 

0 Kudos

APM should do that for you.  It will monitor the response time to a webserver by sending an HTML 200 request and response. 

How would I go about setting that up? Do you know? I have the Application Monitor monitoring various services on various servers, but am not sure how I can set it up to monitor the website. The site is running via IIS.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos

Check Pages 21 and 22 on this doc.

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/apm/docs/APMAdministratorGuide.pdf

I was looking at those instructions earlier, and my module is called Application Monitor, not Application Performance Monitor. I cannot see the options that are listed in the Admin Guide. Do I have an old version that does not support this? I am running Application Monitor 8.0.21 with Orion NPM 8.5.

0 Kudos

Yep, you have the old version, now they call it APM.

0 Kudos

APM is a new product, but all customers who had AM and were current on maintenance were automatically granted a license for APM.  If, for some reason, you do not see APM in your customer portal, you should call Customer Service and they'll help you get that fixed.

0 Kudos

APM is a new product, but all customers who had AM and were current on maintenance were automatically granted a license for APM.  If, for some reason, you do not see APM in your customer portal, you should call Customer Service and they'll help you get that fixed.

Thank you for that. I logged into my customer portal and saw the available license. I have installed it and have followed these instructions on how to setup an http monitor. http://www.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/SolarWinds/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm?context=SolarWinds...

After I created the Application Template, I am not sure on how to proceed from this point on. Am I supposed to Assign a Node to the Application Template? If so, does that mean the web server that the website is hosted on needs to be added as a monitored Node in Orion NPM?

0 Kudos

Yes, after you create an Application Template, you assign it to one or more servers.  Once assigned to a server, you've got a live Application, which will show up on the APM home page.  The assigned Application is the basic unit for monitoring within APM.

0 Kudos

So to monitor a website, do you just put in the url of the web or do you have to be monitoring the server it is running on?

0 Kudos

So to monitor a website, do you just put in the url of the web or do you have to be monitoring the server it is running on?

You can monitor the site url itself. You do not have to monitor the server but you do however need to attach the HTTP Monitor to an existing Node. I am still unclear as to the reason for this but I haven't had the time to look it up yet.

0 Kudos

What I am doing is this.  I run a primary (where NPM,APM, & Netflow run) and 2 secondary pollers.  I have set my primary and one of the secondary pollers to check an intrnet website's main login page.  I am trying to verify that this setup will provide a real end-user response time picture.

0 Kudos

Yes, after you create an Application Template, you assign it to one or more servers.  Once assigned to a server, you've got a live Application, which will show up on the APM home page.  The assigned Application is the basic unit for monitoring within APM.

Thanks. I have done this and it seems to be working. I am stumped on the alerting portion of this as well. I am trying to setup an alert to e-mail me if any of the http monitored websites stop responding. But I cannot see any options in the Advanced Alerts config regarding APM monitored objects. I cannot find any relevant information in the APM Admin Guide either. Can you or anyone shed some light?

Thanks again for all the help thus far. It is much appreciated.

0 Kudos

From the alerts console > Configure Advanced Alerts > Add New Alert.  Make sure to enable the alert and give it a name.  Under the trigger condition at the top is "Type of Property to Monitor" select APM-Monitor from the drop down.  Add a simple condition. Click on the first variable and select APM Monitors > Http > Status.  Configure the rest of that simple condition "is not equal to up" or "is equal to down." Finish the rest of the alert configuration and then you should be good to go.

Good Luck 

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for everyone's help. I have it up and running fine thus far. I really appreciate it.

-Tony

0 Kudos