This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring a VMWare 4i environment

Hello,

We've just implemented a new VMWare 4i environment and I'm in the process of setting up NPM and APM to monitor and provide as much information as possible.  I upgraded to NPM 10.1.2 and APM 4.0.2 and have successfully added our vCenter server via API in NPM.  I now see our VM infrastructure (vCenter server, ESX servers and VM's) when I go to the Virtualization tab in NPM.  Is there anything else that I need to add via API or SNMP that will provide me with additional data (i.e. Add ESX servers or VM's individually via SNMP?)... or is it all just Poller and View config work from here?

Also, in the VMWare Monitoring for All Blog post I noticed some cool graphs which show CPU and Memory usage for VM's...

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to configure this?  Is this just accomplished by configuring a custom view?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
-Dave

• This should appear on the on the ESX server page, see here as an example.  Are you not seeing this?

• Brandon,

Thanks for the reply.

A couple of things... I do see the view you referenced but don't have the List of Virtual Machines, VM CPU Consumption, VM Memory Consumption, and VM Network Traffic sections on the page.  Should those be there by default or do I need to add them to the view manually?

Additional note... in the main Virtualization Summary View when I drill down to the VM's under the ESX host, the VM's are greyed out.  When I click on them it indicates that they're unmanaged and asks if I want to add them to Orion... so obviously I need to add them individually right?  Should I just add each VM server via SNMP?

It would be nice if there was a document that outlined everything that needs to be done to get this set up.  It's just a bit confusing as to what needs to be added and how... vCenter via API?, ESX Host via SNMP?, VM via SNMP?

Thanks again for the assistance!
    -Dave

• Should those be there by default or do I need to add them to the view manually?

No they should show up automatically.

When I click on them it indicates that they're unmanaged and asks if I want to add them to Orion... so obviously I need to add them individually right?  Should I just add each VM server via SNMP?

If you choose to manage them, what is gives you is stats on that VM like you were monitoring a physical Windows, Linux etc. box.  To get these stats in the charts you are not required to manage them, so completely your call based on your monitoring needs.

I have a matrix I will email you offline on what is polled via API and via SNMP.