This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring a DWDM Device

We have four optical Cisco ONS 15454 MSTP DWDW devices. A we know on these devices, some of the paths through the device are purely optical. We using these on our Production site and DR site connectivity in cluster. We configure all four SNMP but not getting CPU and RAM Information although interfaces are visible but the up down status might not be of much use as we need to monitor our Production and DR sites fiber connectivity.

Jawwad~

• I don't know much about the 15454, but if you can query a specific SNMP OID for the CPU and memory values, you can create a custom poller to collect that data. This is somewhat different than a Universal Device Poller (UnDP) in that NPM can look at it and use it automatically for other devices with the same system OID. Here's a link in the documentation that might help you out:

Create pollers in Device Studio - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

• Thanks, will check and update on this platform.

• You have problems -- the Cisco ONS devices have (IMNSHO) terrible mibs and they don't expose things in a logical manner. I never really got the interface state to track the optical status. It was trying to monitor these that got me into fudging SNMP traps into alerts. I did not bother with the CPU and RAM on the ONS devices -- as you mentioned they are optical nodes, and that means pretty much the only thing going though the main CPU is the platform monitoring. and control plane functions.

Fortunately (for me) we've replaced them with the Adva optical. Which have pretty awesome engineering behind them and the person who wrote the MIB who appears to know how to make it work with a network management platform (because the up/down/testing ifStatus for the interface components is as you would expect).

• You'll need to discover the correct OID / MIB that can provide the CPU & RAM info you seek.  Until you get the right OID selected / implemented, you'll remain challenged.

One possible starting point:  Netdisco / Mibs / [862530] /cisco/CISCO-ENTITY-VENDORTYPE-OID-MIB.my

• The ONS-15454 do not support any of the cisco mibs (at least at any version of code we ran on them)

You need to start here: Fault Management of ONS 15454 Using Simple Network Management Protocol - Cisco

for reference I don't think the Cerant/Cisco ONS 15454 devices export the RAM/CPU of the management processor.

DWDM is very different from the Ethernet networking most people are used to -- the processor does not normally make routing and forwarding decisions. The only time processor might do something routing-like is when you provision new channels on it, normally when you physically insert a card into the box (i.e. every couple of months rather than every few nano-seconds) .

In most cases all they do is they perform chassis management and fault-reporting functions  (downloading firmware and configuration to slots, monitoring transponder, monitoring the environment, adjusting power levels etc). if there are no control plane functions needed then the slots in DWDM equipment normally carry on doing whatever they were doing.

• How strange & sad if Cisco doesn't provide similar snmp monitoring to their Ethernet switching hardware!

I found OIDs similar to what you mentioned, at the link below.  But I didn't notice RAM/CPU OID's referenced.

ONS 15454 MSTP SNMP Fault Management - Cisco

• rschroeder, did you ever got the interface monitoring on the 15454's working? I would be happy with just utilization if it's possible?

Please let me know.

• Our WAN provider remotely manages/monitors their 15454's in our buildings (as well as their Accedians); we don't have access to that equipment for monitoring.  I'm not certain what the WAN service provider can see, but I know they use Solarwinds.

We are moving towards a mindset of creating our own parallel WAN in response to recent decreases in reliability and satisfaction with legacy WAN services.  If we go to DWDM, I'm interested in getting all the data instead of discovering we get little or none after we've committed to the brand/model of equipment.