This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring Optical Network and devices from Nortel

We have a pretty large Optical Network that we use to transport video and high speed data. We are using Nortel's Optical Metro 6500, 6110, 5200 and 3500s. We tried enabling the snmp services on one of the OM 6500s and was able to add to Solarwinds V8.5.1;but it did not support the Interfaces MIB to poll the interface status/information. Most of the posts here seem to be related to cisco products. As NPM is capable of Nortel devices we would like to know how this can be proceeded. One option that we heard is that we need TL1 interpreter for Solarwinds. Do you support TL1 interpreter? I tried searching for any relevant posts here and didn't have luck finding them. 

thanks,

Om

• we also have 5200's and nortel has told us they do not support SNMP polling only traps

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

I have the same issue with our resilient packet ring, which is part of a bigger infrastructure and is realized with OME6500's. Have you made any progress in incorperating them into Orion? Maybe APM and TL1 scripting is a possibility.

• Maybe APM and TL1 scripting is a possibility.

That should be possible with the Perl module dedicated to TL1: https://noc.sara.nl/nrg/TL1-Toolkit/

An APM linux script monitor can return a status, a message and a statistic value.

Another idea could be to have a script that runs periodically using that Perl Module and forward any errors, alarms to the Orion Syslog service (http://perldoc.perl.org/Sys/Syslog.html) or through SNMP Traps (http://search.cpan.org/~hardaker/SNMP-5.0401/SNMP.pm).

HTH,

Yann

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Yann

That is actually the same perl module I stumbled across this morning since I took up this issue.

Could you outline a bit more how the general setup would work to get the interface performance stats into Orion, so I get a better understanding of the interaction between Perl Scripts (I guess I need a scheduler as well for 15min intervalls) -> APM --> Orion? How does the mentioned Linux script monitor come into play? For us everythings runs on Windows 2003 servers.

• Rob,

Actually as you are in a windows environmnent this would make more sense to use the Windows Script Monitor in APM.

Linux Script Monitors run on the target machine.  Windows Script Monitors run on the Orion Server.

The aim is to use APM to run periodically the script to fetch data using the TL1 toolkit.

The first step will be to write the scripts and test them manually. Each script has to return an exit code (0-Up | 1-Down | 2-Warning | 3-Critical | Any other value - Unknown) and a statistic value. Then the rest of the script will remain transparent for APM.

I would recommend you to read the page 32-33 of the adminstration guide: www.solarwinds.com/.../APMAdministratorGuide.pdf

Once your perl scripts can run manually without any problem, Create the Windows Script Monitor in APM.

You will need to change the Script Engine setting on the monitor to PerlScript. This is assuming you are using ActiveState's perl implementation.

As soon as APM begins to run the scripts you will be able to check in the web console, the response time of the monitor, the Component Availability, the Statistics of that component and the last 25 events that occured on that monitor.

After few hours/days you will be able to run reports on those components using Report Writer and check the current and historical values.

HTH,

Yann

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Yann

Nortel with Firmware release 4.01 supports Mibs that Orion can read. We are now able to account the Ring Transit Traffic of the OME 6500's. With firmware 5.2 further SNMP improvements come along.

Bandwidth e.g. needs to be entered manually, read outs are not correct. But otherwise we are getting results without APM.

• Thanks for the update Rob,

That makes it far easier to monitor when SNMP is supported emoticons_wink.png .

Yann.