This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring Juniper Virtual Chassis Members

I would like to be able to monitor members of the virtual chassis on Juniper EX series switches.  I was wondering if anyone has been able to get it to work to where you see member status under node details?  Currently if we have one switch in the stack fail we won't see a status change for the node unless we monitor edge ports which we don't want to do.  We have NPM version 10.1 and NCM 6.0.

Thanks

• I suggest you use the Toolset MIB Browser and see what is available in the device MIB. You might find an OID for member status or such. I looked through the MIB but nothing was obviuos as member status to me. Here is the Juniper MIB for reference. http://www.oidview.com/mibs/2636/JUNIPER-MIB.html

• Take a look at creating a UnDP for monitoring JUNIPER-MIB:jnxFruState

OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.1.15.1.8
    Access: Read-Only
    Type: Integer

The current state for this subject.
    Possible values:
    unknown(1)
    empty(2)
    present(3)
    ready(4)
    announceOnline(5)
    online(6)
    anounceOffline(7)
    offline(8)
    diagnostic(9)
    standby(10)

This should be indexed in

OID:

Access:

Read-Only

Type:

Unknown

The associated jnxContentsContainerIndex in the

jnxContentsTable.

• Thanks for the replies, that mib will work.  Is there anyway to manipulate the value that displays on the Node Details page so that instead of displaying value 6 it shows Online?  I looked at the transform results help page but didn't see anything that applied to that.

• Not today, but you're not the first one to ask for that ability. I'll mark it for the PM to see.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mcbridea

Good Afternoon,

I am new to ORION.  I am also trying to do the same type of monitoring.  I have taken the above information and created the UnDP; however, I don't know how to discern the information it now displays on the dashboard.  Is there a transform or something else I need to do to make this information usuable?  Can I also have ORION alert if it sees a presence change?

Thanks in Advance!

• Hi David--

Have you looked at the NPM Tutorials on the Support page? We recommend them for new users. They included topics such as UnDP and alerts. They are short and very helpful.

M