This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring HPE RAID controller battery via WMI

I've found a few things, mostly really old, on this subject.

As far as I can tell, monitoring an HP server via WMI doesn't show the RAID controller battery status at all, just the disks.  From old stuff I found, it would seem that monitoring via SNMP is the only supported way to do that.

My questions are: is that still accurate, and if so, why?

I can use WMI to query my HPE servers' RAID battery status, no problem.  What I haven't found so far is documentation from HPE as to what the result actually means.  E.g.

gwmi -computername SomeServerName -class hpsa_arraycontroller -namespace root\hpq  | fl elementname,batterystatus,pscomputername

elementname    : Smart Array P420i Controller in Slot 0

batterystatus  : 1

PSComputerName : SomeServerName

It *appears* that the batterystatus value returned by that query corresponds to the actual status of the battery:

empty = no battery installed

1 = OK

2 = dead

? = ? (I have no other statuses to check against)

Is there some way to get Solarwinds to return this kind of info when the node is being polled by WMI?