Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Monitoring CPU Load Average in Linux

Jump to solution

Hi There,

Can you let me know whether can monitor the load averages as shown under the top command in Linux through Solarwinds. It would be great if you elobrate the steps required on Solarwinds as well as on the linux machine which has to be monitored.

Thanks

1 Solution
Level 13

We don't alert on Load Averages (Tables are problematic) also you'd need to add logic to account for the number of processor cores in the server.

JB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Level 13

You mean like this...

JB

0 Kudos
Level 9

Hi,

I need help 😃 How to change the 1, 2, 3 to Load 1, Load 5, Load 15

54.PNG

0 Kudos
Level 9

I have set up the poller for this, using the settings in the screencap and it seems to be working correctly with one issue.  The actual graph being shown shows trendlines and dots for the actual datapoints, but does not connect the dots or fill beneath them as in your screenshot.  How do I make the graph look the same as yours?  I've included a screenshot of mine to make the issue clear.  Thanks for helping.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Update: this appears to have fixed itself over the weekend and now connects the dots (though I have no idea of why)

0 Kudos
Level 8

Hi JB,

I want to get the same kind of information that's shown in the graph you have attached. I tried to add the UnDP and I am getting the details but I cant seems to interpret the info shown on the graph and the load average actually seen on the linux server. Have you had to do some transform results function?

0 Kudos
Level 13

What oid are you using?  It looks like somthing to do with your network cards.

Here's the poller I use:

Level 8

Yes....I was using the wrong OID. Now changed to the correct one and looks all good. Can you let me know how the alerts have been configured for the load average values at your end. Thanks for your help.

Shailesh

0 Kudos
Level 13

We don't alert on Load Averages (Tables are problematic) also you'd need to add logic to account for the number of processor cores in the server.

JB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

But is there any way to create an alert for column "load-1"?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Level 21

But is there any way to create an alert for column "load-1"?

Thanks.

Yes, this is possible.  In the Advanced Alert Manager if you create an alert with the Type of Property to Monitor set to Custom Node Poller you will then have Row and Column options when you go to configure the conditions.  If you plan to do this you will likely want to get familiar with the database and how the information is being stored.

Level 8

Orion Team,

Can anyone let me know how we can set alerts for load average values such that for it sends out alert when the values hit 8,6,4 and above.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Level 21

I have uploaded a poller to the Content Exchange for capturing Load Average on net-snmp systems.  Hopefully this will help anybody that is struggling with this.

0 Kudos
Level 7

byrona,

I was able to get this going in our current system, but all my graphs are showing up as integers, no decimals.  Any tips?

0 Kudos
Level 7

Hi,

Has anyone had this issue and resolved it same issue my graphs are showing Integers and not the decimals I need.

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
Level 8

Hi,

This is exactly what I want. Let me see how it can be set for me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Level 21

The best OID to use for this is probably as follows...

OID:  1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.5

Name:  laLoadInt

Description: The 1 , 5 and 10 minute load averages as an integer.
 This is computed by taking the floating point
 loadaverage value and multiplying by 100 , then
 converting the value to an integer.

Level 8

Hi Bryon,

Thanks for the quick turn around. Would you be able to elaborate what exactly needs to be done on the linux machine as well as that from solarwinds to enable this kind of reporting.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Level 21

You will need to install and configure net-snmp.  Depending on your systems it is possible that this is already installed and maybe even running.

You can go to their website for more information...

http://www.net-snmp.org/

0 Kudos
Level 8

Hi Bryon,

Installed net-snmp. Anything specifc that should be configured under the snmpd.conf file?

Also, what has to be done from Solarwinds server or web console..I mean how to add an UnDP to monitor these load averages?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Level 14

Shailesh,

This thread may be helpful for working with snmpd.conf, and the chapter to which Byron is referring is "Monitoring MIBs with Universal Device Pollers" in the SolarWinds Orion NPM Administrator Guide (.pdf).

0 Kudos