This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitored nodes DNS suffix changes

I have a question. 

We have nodes that are currently monitored in SW. 

The DNS suffix on those nodes will be changing because the nodes are being moved from one AD domain to another AD domain and the original DNS entry in the source domain is deleted when the node is moved.  For example if the node is SERVERNAME.ABC.COM the new DNS entry once the node is moved would be SERVERNAME.XYZ.COM and the SERVERNAME.ABC.COM will go away.

My question is how is the DNS entry updated in SW when the change is made? 

I checked a node we tested with after it was moved and it still has the old DNS suffix.  I did a rediscovery on the node and it still has the old DNS suffix.  The SolarWinds server IS still in the old domain and will stay there for the foreseeable future.

TIA

• I don't have a direct answer, but would check: 

• Do those nodes have the "Dynamic IP Address (DHCP or BOOTP)" box checked in their node settings?
      sturdyerde_2-1594224157716.png

• Do your servers have the old DNS suffix manually specified in their network adapters' DNS client settings? Do they have the "use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration" box checked?
      sturdyerde_1-1594224001071.png
  • None of the servers we monitor have the "Dynamic IP Address (DHCP or BOOTP)" box checked in their node settings.

For the servers themselves, I will have to check if they register their suffix in DNS in the IP configuration.

• The DNS entry is updated via rediscovery using the DNS servers configured on the SolarWinds server. You mentioned the SolarWinds server is still in the old domain - if those DNS servers still return the entry SERVERNAME.ABC.COM, then that is what SolarWinds will show.

System name = what the device thinks it is
    DNS name = what the DNS server configured in Windows thinks that IP resolves to  (the polling engine Windows server)

Caption = system name > DNS name > IP   (in that order when adding the device or you can override with your own custom label)

• The DNS entry is updated via rediscovery using the DNS servers configured on the SolarWinds server.

Understood. 

You mentioned the SolarWinds server is still in the old domain - if those DNS servers still return the entry SERVERNAME.ABC.COM, then that is what SolarWinds will show.

So if the DNS entries for the migrated servers are removed, the referral goes to another upstream DNS server because the ABC.COM entry does not exists, and the resolving server replies with XYZ.COM, then SolarWinds will update the entry of the node, correct?

• Yes. The easiest way to check is to run an nslookup against the IP from the SolarWinds server. If that returns XYZ.COM then the DNS field in SolarWinds will show that on the next rediscovery.

The caption will NOT change/update automatically.