This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitor & Alert on Interface Packet Loss?

I feel like I'm missing something, but I've not found a way to alert on interface packet loss.  I have a request from our Network Engineers to more closely monitor our WAN interfaces for PL.  Is this not possible with NPM is there another SW module that would provide this?  I found some dated articles that would make me believe at one point it was possible with the old advanced alerting engine maybe? 

• Interface packet loss is not a thing, I don't mean it isn't in Orion, I mean no such measurable concept exists in networking. They'll need to be more clear. Interfaces can have errors on them, in which case you can look at errors, interfaces can have discards (often these are on purpose so they are usually a red herring), and endpoints can fail to respond to pings which we call packet loss, but there is no measurement of packet loss on an interface itself.
  • In most scenario's I've found that what the engineer is asking is for packet loss across a circuit or trunk from end to end. As mentioned by  we can provide Packet Loss from the Poller to the Node by measuring the ICMP Echo response time and P/L but for true circuit monitoring the company would need to deploy IP SLA and possibly even NetFlow.