This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitor Time of Network Devices

Hi there,

I'm planning to use solarwinds to monitor the time of the network devices and ntp server. I setup ntp server on a windows server, and all network devices sync time from it. I would like to monitor if the ntp server is accurate as well as all switches and routers. Since i haven't been working on it before, I would like to obtain your expertise and I also did some research by myself first.

This is what I'm planning to do:

1. For windows server, Monitor NTP.​ Will the NTP server be external source and node will be our ntp server? I also don't see the optiones of Clock Drift (Internet Time Service) or Clock Drift (NTP).

2. For cisco devices, I'm thinking to use universal device poller with NTP Best Practice. Which objects should I use from Cisco NTP MIB?

Is there any better and easy to do it? Thank you!!

• For anyone who's interested the answer, please check below

To monitor windows server clock drift, I imported from thwack Server Clock Drift (powershell) to SAM template. Disable Clock Drift (Internet Time Service). Then I used time.google.com as my script arguments. Make sure you select "inherit credential from node" in credential for monitoring. I ran some errors without selecting it when testing node.

To monitor cisco network devices, I created a NCM job that run command "show ntp status", then capture the keyword Clock is synchronized. Then you will receive an email with details of the report. The NTP MIB poller doesn't support NTPv4 for my cisco device model, so I chose run the job on solarwinds.

Hope this will help someone.