Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 8

Monitor Temperature and Physical Disk Status of Servers

Jump to solution

Hi! Can anyone assist me on how am I going to search for mib file/oid of a device in case I can't find it using the Mib Walk Tool from Solarwinds? I need to monitor temperature status of cisco routers and servers and physical disk status of servers.

😞

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Monitor Temperature and Physical Disk Status of Servers

Jump to solution

Sure, sorry about taking so long --

You will need to download Dell's OpenManage Managed Node software package.  This is required so the Dell server can send specific SNMP information to Orion.  Without this package, you can't find these OIDs.  Also, once you install the package, there are several documents that list over OIDs.  These below are the ones I frequently use.  If you need more, I can post more.  If you don't find the link, I'll try to dig it up and post it. 

I have arrayDiskState as 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.130.4.1.4.x
where x is the array such as 1, 2, 3, etc. 

coolingDeviceReading as 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1.700.12.1.6.1.x
where x is the cooling device such as 1, 2, 3, etc.

temperatureProbeReading as 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1.700.20.1.6
this is returned in celsius*10.  If you want fahrenheit, you will need to build a transform

like this--

Use formula - CtoF({temperatureProbeReading}/10)

Let me know if this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I am able to monitor physical disk status and temperature status of my Dell PowerEdge 2950 servers.  If you have the same type, just reply and I will walk you through how I did it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Hi there

I am interested how you did the Dell 2950's. Is it via the Dell DRAC information as I know it monitors those items. - Disks, temp etc...

I would like to be able to poll these.

Thanks

Ken

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Right now, I am monitoring the following:

1. Physical Disk State of each of my 6 SAS disks
  2. Fan speed of each of my cooling fans
  3. Status of each of my cooling fans
  4. Temperature Probe reading

All I did was enable Windows SNMP on my Dell 2950 and install the Dell OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node.  It's a free download from Dell.  Once those two are installed, you can be able to pull a lot of Dell related information.  Plus the OpenManage package gives you a list of all OIDs. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

i can't seem to find this for windows on the Dell site. I am trying to monitor the same things you are monitoring

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@afarmer

could you please discribe how you implemented these Dell MIB's to solarwinds?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

I think you just need to enter the OID into the universal device poller, thats all...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@afarmer

could you please discribe how you implemented these Dell MIB's to solarwinds?

As far as "implementing the MIB's" is concerned, they are likely already in there as SolarWinds uses one file that contains pretty much all the MIB's out there.  If you do find one they don't have let them know and they will add it.

To use those MIB's to monitor things all you need to do is use the UnDP (Universal Device Poller) as Questionario suggested above.  If you havne't done this before there is a section in the manual that explains it and I am pretty sure there is a video on how to use it on the SolarWinds website.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

thanks for your help!

I found out that I have to use the SolarWinds "Universal Device Poller" program to bring in hardware MIB's to SolarWinds.

disk array, power supply and global system state infos are working fine now.

It's just a bit tricky to find the correct OID's 😉

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

It's just a bit tricky to find the correct OID's 😉

If you have a copy of the SolarWinds Engineers Toolset installed on your primary core polling system (or any other system that has SNMP access to your nodes) you can do a full SNMP Walk on the device that will basically give you a report or SNMP Profile of your system that can be exported to MS Excel.  You can use that to see what data points can be monitored and what their OID's are.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos