cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Monitor Hard drive space wth trigger alert

Jump to solution

Anybody help me write a trigger to monitor low disk space.

I tried doing one but I get all drives coming up in the trigger

I need one to warn me when drive space is 96% full or their is only 7% or less available.

The way I tried is attached.

When i enabled this trigger every server sent alert even if the drive space didnt meat the alert.

Any help will do.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

You need to change Type of Property to Monitor to Volume. In your example you have it set to Node.

orion.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Level 17

You are over complicating the alert.

Set up a simple condition of:

Volume Type is equal to Fixed Disk

Disk Utilization is greater than 90

You don't need the complex condition. And if you DID use it, it would be something like:

field Volume Type is equal to value Fixed Disk

field disk utilization is greater than value 90

Leon Adato | Head Geek
------
"Measure what is measurable,
and make measurable what is not so." - Gallileo

Level 7

Thanks for the quick reply.  As I said I am new to this but under simple condition it looks like I have to browse to the options?  I do not see volume type or disk utilization as one of my choices.

Thanks

0 Kudos

You need to change Type of Property to Monitor to Volume. In your example you have it set to Node.

orion.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 8

I changed "Property to Monitor" to "Volume" but Disk Utilization does not exist. There is "Disk_Util" but that option only gives me a YES/NO option.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

The trigger in your first example is the one to use "Volume Percent Used". The 2 Disk Utils you see are custom properties that someone has created on your system. They could be used for a trigger where you write a generic trigger for all volumes but you only wish to be alerting on some. So on those volumes you change the custom property to yes and in your trigger you add in the custom property to yes. That way it will only trigger on those volumes that have the custom property set to yes.

I hope that makes sense.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks that clears it up.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I am new to SW and wanting to get alerted as you had if HD space is about 90%.  I added I thought like jbaulsir above but my alerts are not working althouth I have been able to send a test alert.  NOt sure why I have the word "value" in my trigger as you the example does not.  Any ideas?

Thanksalert.jpg

0 Kudos
Level 13

This is what we use:

Alerts on disk drives that are greater then or equal to 90%

JB

You only need one condition group.

Property Type: Volume

Trigger Alert when all of the following apply

- field volume percent used is greater than or equal to value 96

- field snmp community is equal to value naperville

- field volume description is not equal to value virtual memory

- field volume description is not equal to value physical memory

- field volume description is not equal to value real memory

0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks James - I have created this Advanced Alert using our Community and how can only report that the C:\ is near capacity. I dont really care about other drive letters - Some system partion rule maybe? I'm still a noob in SW SAM/APM.

0 Kudos
Level 9

You need to add 1 more trigger condition:

Caption  Contains  C:\

Level 9

Sorry if this is dated, and such a noob question.

Have just installed SAM to 700+ nodes and only just realised that the S:\Swap volume is being monitored.

This is regularly alerting, so am looking at modifying the alert not to trigger on the S:\Swap volumes, otherwise I can only see my other option is to individually remove all the volumes.

Is it possible to do the above trigger, but somehow NOT trigger on the caption S:\ ??

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

You could add in the following trigger

Caption is not equal to S:\swap

But post up your whole trigger so that I can see if the above would work on your trigger.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Thanks mate for replying.

Have added the trigger and still no joy. Have tried both S:\swap and S:\ Label:Swap

Will attempt to show screenshot:

Volume Trigger.jpg

Current Alerts.jpg

0 Kudos

Before you fill in the S:Label:Swap bit on the trigger, you can click on the down arrow. What options for Label:Swap do you get on the down arrow? It looks like the name does not match what Solarwinds sees.

Capture.JPG

Might be easier if you remove the new trigger and add in a condition group like this.

Capture.JPG

Level 9

Thanks mate, the latter worked perfectly.

Much appreciated.

0 Kudos