This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Missing Nodes and Duplicate Nodes

Hi Guys,

We are encountering issues where some nodes are missing and some are getting duplicated. We noticed that this is happening when we edit node properties via web while another node property page is currently open. It seems that when there are two or more node page that are open, when you edit and submit the page, node properties get copied to the other nodes. I have advised our team to refrain from editing multiple nodes for the mean time.

Does anyone experience this issue? What can we do?

Please advise.

Thanks.

• novethdevera,

Unfortunately there is not much you can do for now beyond what you already have. We are considering a feature request to lock the node so only one user to edit at a time. If we did this, would it solve your problem or is it important to allow users to modify the same nodes simultaneously and regularly? Can I ask what exactly you are editing so much (ex: custom properties)?

Mav

• Hi Mav,

Thanks. Actually, our problem is occurring when a single user edits multiple nodes at the same time. To your second question, yes, we edit mostly custom properties.

Have you encountered this problem?

Thanks.

• I have encountered this problem, as well in our environment. I should start off by saying that I am fairly new to Solarwinds Orion admin--we previously hired this service out and brought it in-house at the end of last year. So, if I am off on any of my terminology, I apologize.

Recently, I imported a large number of nodes in to monitoring, and had to go to each node to correct the name, which was showing as the IP address. I wanted to change it to the host name. I started by opening 3 nodes in distinct tabs in IE, and opening each node for editing. I made changes to the node names, and saved each one, right after the other. I found that all three nodes had the same information once saved. The 2nd and 3rd nodes pulled information from the 1st node I had open. I had to go back and correct both.

I saw this again today. Normally I do all administration in our environment, but I have a backup that occasionally helps, such as when I am out of the office, which I was yesterday. As he doesn't do it often, I usually go in and check on the work he has done to make sure it fits our standards, etc. In looking at the node he added, I found that it was actually a node that was in the system previously, and it had been renamed and nearly all information changed. However the history of the device showed what the name was previously. I asked him about it, and he said that he found it strange when he added the node, it showed up twice in monitoring. He deleted one and left the other. In talking to him further, I found that he had opened one node for editing so he could see additional information as a reference when adding a new node. What happened is that he added the new node and saved it. Once he closed his reference node, it pulled all information from the new node into it, updating it with this information (and was now named the same). In deleting one of them, he actually deleted the newly created node, leaving the node that had been renamed.

To correct it, I repopulated the original information in the incorrect node, and added the new node. In talking with him, to confirm my suspicions, I was able to recreate the issue quite easily. I find this an alarming issue, in that I am accustomed to using multiple instances of particular programs in individual tabs, as is popular with modern browsers, and not expecting this type of behavior. I am now relegating myself to using one tab at a time, which can be a bit of a hindrance. Let us know if anything further can be done.

Thanks!

• Exactly the same problem that we encounter.

I hope someone from Solarwinds can address this issue.

• Hi,

We would like to know if there are already answer to this problem. Thanks.

• Hi,

I have the same problem when editing nodes from web console: If i list resourses on both of them and then choose some interfaces and add them, they can appear on second node and have unknown status (obviosly).

• This is a known issue.

The problem is that SolarWinds is session-based. Every tab or window of your browser all goes back to the same session pool. So the Node Edit page pulls the data for node 1. If you then open an edit page for node 2, you over write the session info for node 1 (even though it stays on the screen in that window).

NOW... when you hte save for node 1, it's writing the SESSION DATA... not what you see on the screen. So you end up having node 1 "loaded" with node 2's info.

There is - as far as I know - no fix for this. It's the way SW is designed.

The "solution" is to "don't go like that", and to use multiple browsers if you are going to edit multiple nodes. Not multiple windows, mind you. Multiple browsers - Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safar, etc.

No, no. Not the blue "E". Never ever every use the blue "E". Unless you need to download an actual browser.

• OK, I just did a little digging. You will need a plugin like this for firefox, which lets you open multiple separate sessions (ie: cookie sessions):

Multifox - Different logins at the same time

• Thanks Adatole, I get so many info from link..

Its get solution of many things which I ever found..

www.plagiarismdetector.net | gloria hotel apartment dubai

• Very good to know.  Would probably also fit well into an FAQ or user guide.